Iron Man soars past the multitude of cinematic superhero forgetfuls

Packed with enough energy and special effects to power a small army, superhero films have become frequent fliers at the summer box office. Recently, however, there seems to be a lack of a dignified purpose when bringing these heroes up to the silver screen.

In the latest efforts like the sequel to “The Fantastic Four” and even “Spider-Man 3”, the core storyline played out like tedious monotony. Taking notice of this weakness, the latest cinematic hero is longing for a transformation that will do more than just break the sound barrier.

With an original story that dates back nearly 45 years, Iron Man gets his cinematic debut with powerhouse talent. Directed by Jon Favreau and starring Robert Downey Jr., “Iron Man” boasts a fresh visual eye and immense acting ability. To update the scenario for the billionaire playboy and genius weapons inventor, Tony Stark, the creation story of “Iron Man” begins in Afghanistan. While presenting his new weapon technology, Tony is ambushed by terrorists and forced into captivity to build a destructive weapon. Instead, Tony uses his industrial intelligence to plan an elaborate escape with a high-tech, full bodysuit of armor.

In the latest installment in the Superman franchise, director Bryan Singer proved with “Superman Returns” that there will always be a need for the unwavering boy scout. In “Iron Man”, the importance is exhibited effortlessly. When he is not asking you to suspend disbelief for comic mischief, Favreau’s interpretation of the world surrounding Tony Stark hits hauntingly close to home. Now, we’re given a world that’s stricken by war because of advancing weapons technologies. As Tony is thrown into the heart of storm, his transformation to the iron clad muscle-man is much more believable and ultimately praiseworthy.

While seeing Robert Downey Jr. fire on all cylinders, the transformation never tasted so sweet. As Tony witnesses first-hand how his creations are landing in the wrong hands, the film takes on a secondary exploration of how one man can take action in changing his life as well as the world. With such a deeply engaging character, there’s enough credibility to allow a dismissal of the dreadful talent exhibited by Gwyneth Paltrow as Stark’s secretary, Pepper Potts. For the driven and professional character she represents, her climactic switch to a damsel in distress is hardly believable and slightly laughable.

Ultimately, “Iron Man” joins the ranks of the few superhero films that deliver world class special effects without tarnishing the more important qualities of humor and developed characters. Like few other franchise films, including this year’s “Batman” sequel, “The Dark Knight”, here’s to those working towards a brighter future of diverse superhero sequels.