Movie Review: “There Will Be Blood”

It may be easy to gather a perception of our own oil practices simply from the title of “There Will Be Blood.” Be that as it may, Paul Thomas Anderson’s newest masterpiece is also the haunting examination of a horrifyingly evil man.

As he likes to tell those around him, Daniel Plainview is an oil man. With his young son as his business partner, Daniel exerts a determined vision on his dirty but wealthy business. When a visitor approaches them claiming to bear the knowledge about a sea of oil underneath the deserts of California, the Plainviews set their sights on deceptiveness and success. Set during the turn of the century, “There Will Be Blood” depicts a war of religion and business, but more notably explores a character’s ruthlessness that unavoidably affects everything he touches.

As the actor responsible for the pivotal role of Daniel Plainview, Daniel Day-Lewis deserves every award that inevitably comes his way. He unflinchingly shows us how a man of such power handles his business, his family and his desires. In its most impressive feat, the performance shows how key relationships and important morals are overcome by the darkest side of human corruption. In this case, no one, including his son, is safe. It is the combination of a mosaic character and a dedicated performance that thrusts “There Will Be Blood” in comparison with films like, dare I say, “Citizen Kane.”

Classic or not, there should be no disbelief in its hype. “There Will Be Blood” relies on a character consumed so much by the power of evil that he becomes an anomaly which we could never have distinguished for ourselves. Exhibited to the fullest capabilities in Daniel Day-Lewis’ masterful performance, the screen life of Daniel Plainview will go down as one of cinema’s most extraordinary and absorbing achievements. This is as close to perfection as lead performances get, and as enthralling as films can become because of them.

Four stars out of four