Voting makes for the best spring break ever

I recently realized that because my life is so incredibly uneventful, voting in Ohio’s March 4 presidential primaries will likely be the most exciting aspect of my spring break.

On one hand, this fact makes me feel as though I’m a boring person, because voting isn’t exactly the most enticing aspect of daily life. The process itself may not be something to look forward to; one can argue that it’s more like a chore. Really, who wants to wait in seemingly endless lines in crowded school gyms in an effort to vote for a candidate or an issue that may not yield the results you’re looking for?

Dealing with possible frustrations that may arise from incorrect voter information or faulty touch screen voting machines can turn potential voters away from the process. Plus, since elections are held on Tuesdays, who wants to take their lunch hour or after-work and school time to take part in such a tedious process?

Regardless, I find it exciting. We go along day to day under the laws and policies administered by the current government, and a few Tuesdays every year, American citizens are given a chance to cast their ballots and express their satisfaction or dissatisfaction with candidates and what they stand for.

If you’re concerned about waiting in infinite lines, based on my previous experience, there’s usually a chance that people who support opposing candidates will end up bickering with one another in line, which can make for an entertaining situation.

As someone who has voted with my parents for many years, it’s exciting to finally cast votes that are in my own name and my own choices. I’m familiar with the system, and this may have influenced my feelings towards the process. After nearly 18 years of pretending to vote, I can do it for myself.

If you don’t share my feelings for voting, you’re probably asking, “What’s the motivation for voting?”

In my eyes, I’d have to say the free “I Voted Today” stickers. We’re college students, the idea that “free is good” should be embedded in our code of values by which we live our day-to-day lives. You can wear it around all day long, showing off your commitment to civic duty. If getting this excited over a little sticker makes me seem easily amused and juvenile, I have no problem with appearing similar to a first-grader who earned a gold star on her spelling test.

However, as I said, some people would not find my idea of fun very enthralling, and I understand. If you are one of the lucky people who is escaping somewhere warm and sunny (or anywhere that’s not Bowling Green) for a week, this is an alternative that you’re probably happy to avoid. This does not mean that you cannot take part in these important elections.

If you aren’t going to be home on March 4 (or if you registered in Wood County and won’t be on campus for this election), it is not difficult nor too late to get an absentee ballot for the primaries. There are many options to receive a ballot, including mailing a request for a ballot to your county’s board of elections headquarters, faxing a request or personally visiting the board of elections to receive your ballot.

The absolute deadline for the board of elections to receive your ballot request is Saturday, March 1 at noon, and your completed ballot must be returned to the Board of Elections (through mail or in person) by 7:30 p.m. on March 4. All of the necessary information can be found on the Ohio Secretary of State’s Web site, and it’s fairly simple to complete the process.

Just because you are not able to vote at a polling precinct on March 4, that doesn’t mean that your voice cannot be heard. Although I feel that they are one in the same, casting a vote and enjoying your spring break are not mutually exclusive. It’s important to take a break from school and have fun, as well as placing your vote for who will lead our nation.

I hope to see everyone who has an opinion about the government casting their votes. Whether voting is the highlight of your spring break or not, that is up to you. If it is, welcome to the club, and see you in line!