Coach’s Corner with Denise Van De Walle

Volleyball Coach Van de Walle and her players are gearing up for another season this fall.

Q: With eight sophomores and juniors on this year’s squad, do you expect any growing pains early this season?

A: We will have eight returners and six new players this fall. With nearly an even split of players like that, it will be fun and challenging.

The new players coming in are very good and come from really good club programs. They’ve played a lot of high level volleyball. However, it’s always tough to go from being the oldest and best on your club team to the youngest on this team.

There’s a transition period new players go through for sure. We just try to speed up that process and get them used to the BG way as quickly as possible. New players bring an excitement and energy level to the gym as everything is new to them. It’s fun.

Our returning players are experienced. We are solid in every position. We’re coming off a good spring season where we played some very tough competition and did well. I’m sure we’ll take some lumps early on, but that’s ok. We want to be ready at the end of November!

Q: Tell me your experiences working with the U.S. national sitting team and what that is all about?

A: I’m the assistant coach of the USA Women’s Sitting Volleyball team and have been since Feb. 2003 when we started the program.

The team is made up of amputee athletes. Most of our players are missing either their leg or foot. We have 12 players on the team ranging in age from 14 to 40.

The sitting game is played on the floor, not in a wheelchair. It’s the same game as the standing able-bodied game except you can block the serve and when you hit or block you must have one butt cheek on the floor. It’s a great game for anyone who loves volleyball.

We are heading to Beijing for the 2008 Paralympic Games. We’re currently ranked 3rd in the World and are training for a Gold Medal.

Q: How does it feel to be the longest tenured coach here at the University, and what does that say to the success of volleyball at the University?

A: It’s hard to imagine that I’m going into my 26th season. It doesn’t seem possible at all. The time has flown by. I remember my interview and first years very well. I remember when I got here I was the youngest coach on the staff. Now I’m the oldest I’m sure.

Volleyball has done well here. We have a great reputation in the Conference, Region and Nationally. I am really happy to have spent my career here. BGSU has been a terrific place for me. I look forward to many more successful seasons.

Q: With a 21-10 record overall and a 12-4 record in conference play, were you disappointed the team only made it to the quarter finals in the Mid-American Conference tournament?

A: Yes, we all were disappointed. With a senior-laden team, we had high hopes. We wanted to beat Kent St. and we knew it would be tough. They played us very well and pulled out the win. That was a tough day for sure.

Q: How do crowds play a role in volleyball games?

A: Our players love a big crowd. It’s exciting to get a kill and hear the fans clap and scream and get up on their feet for you. Anderson Arena is known as the house that roars. It’s true. It does. What we’re hoping for this fall is a packed house as often as possible.

Volleyball is a great spectator sport. We have found that once someone comes to a match they want to come back. Anything you can do to get the students in Anderson Arena we would appreciate!

Q: What are your expectations for the upcoming season?

A: We expect to have another 20-win season. That may be a lot to expect, but we have that as one of our goals. We want to be in Toledo at the Sea Gate Center again for the MAC Tournament. We want to get past the quarterfinals.

It’s hard to know exactly how good we’ll be because we did lose so many players, but I can guarantee you that we will be fun to watch. We’re tall, athletic, strong and very smart. We’re the complete package team!