All aboard! for the comedy ‘Pineapple Express’

Peculiar movie titles can often be the first sign of retreat for unsuspecting moviegoers. For the upcoming film, “Pineapple Express,” its name alone signals a perception that may have nothing to do with the story. However, with a budding cast and respectable writing talent that has been showcased in recent popular comedies, the buzz surrounding “Pineapple Express” is anything but negative. At the same time, we have to ask ourselves how much do we really know about this abnormal film?

For producer Judd Apatow, “Pineapple Express” may seem like just another venture into the usual relentless comedies he is known for creating. Having been the talented director behind “The 40-Year-Old Virgin” and “Knocked Up,” his name alone speaks to a respected generation of comedies that focus on characters and their often horrendously humorous misfortunes. By teaming up once again with writers Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg (“Superbad”), Apatow now aims his attention to another realm of comedy.

As witnessed in early glimpses of the film’s trailer, “Pineapple Express” is already taking on the form of a comedy that’s unlike any we’ve ever seen. As it centers on the mundane days of Dale Denton (Rogen), the “Express” may seem like its only focusing on the typical values of the few stoner comedies that barely make a staple in Hollywood. However, when Dale and his drug dealer (James Franco) are the witnesses to a crime during a stupor session, their simple lives of nirvana turn into something frightfully dangerous, yet exceedingly humorous.

As a film we can expect to play off the paranoia of the frenzied main characters, “Pineapple Express” seems to be daring the extra mile by incorporating new ideas to the bare bones genre. With Franco and Rogen fleeing from the crime and inevitably the cops, there seems to be an inspired portion of the film that focuses its attention on a buddy action film about two unlikely action heroes. With the all-aboard call already rolling on this seemingly one-of-a-kind comedy, audiences are already clamoring for a unique treat.

COMING SOON: “Pineapple Express” opens in theaters on Wednesday, August 6.