Keep your butt away from me (or, please don’t smoke near crowds)

Whenever I talk about smoking, I fear coming across as someone who belongs in the “South Park” episode “Butt Out.” I do not want to make all smoking illegal like Rob Reiner in the episode, and I certainly don’t plan on sacrificing children in order to successfully get my point across like the Smoke Stoppers did with Cartman.

But, as a nonsmoker, I don’t want to have to experience secondhand smoke every single time I walk outside.

According to the current policies from the Office of Residence Life, smoking is not allowed within 10 feet of a doorway, and a student can be subject to disciplinary action if caught violating this rule.

There are numerous signs pointing this out on each of the doorways on residence halls, and, from personal observation, they seem to be working. Fewer smokers are lighting up near the entrances of the dorms that I pass, and this is nothing but a welcome change to me.

I thank those smokers who continue to abide by the rules, whether for personal respect of other students or for the University policy, both of which are essential to creating a strong community on campus.

The whole concept of not smoking near doorways stems from the fact that it isn’t appropriate to have people gathering in a small space that is frequented by a steady number of people on a regular basis. By getting away from the doorways, nonsmokers would not have to walk outside to the overpowering smell of smoke.

In addition, smokers could have more privacy in a spot farther away from a busy doorway (that is, unless you want to be seen by your peers as a smoker because it will enhance your social status in some way).

This is why I tend to become slightly frustrated when I see people take their cigarettes to the shuttle stops or similar gathering places, and rather than smoking outside of the designated semi-enclosed seating area, will sit down and smoke right next to someone who is also waiting.

I’m not saying that smoking shouldn’t be allowed while waiting for the buses; in fact, since waiting times can be longer in the winter, it’s probably a great way to kill time. It’s just that the waiting areas are small spaces and can become just as crowded.

Also, it can be just as intrusive to sit down next to a person and puff away at a stop as it would be to stand near a doorway. It would be nice if smokers could respect the personal space of those who do not wish to – or cannot – put up with the smell.

At most, if not all, of the shuttle stops, there is a fairly large standing area beside the enclosed areas to wait; it would be nice if those who smoke could make use of this space and light up away from the rest of the students.

As an asthmatic, it’s difficult for me to be near cigarette smoke and its smell, and from personal experience, simply moving away and off to the side of a waiting area can really diffuse the smoke. At the same time, if you are a nonsmoker and are standing in an open area waiting, moving toward the crowd so a smoker can have an open area to light up would be helpful.

I would ask that the same principles apply to getting onto the shuttle; please do not continue to smoke when you board.

The smoke will build up in an even more compact space than a doorway or waiting area, and, once again, it’s a courtesy to your fellow riders and the bus driver. It’s not a pleasant experience having to sit next to someone who is holding a cigarette with an odor that lingers after exiting the shuttle, so I hope that it can be avoided in the future.

Smoking should not be considered a four-letter word, and I do not hope to come across as someone as radical as the caricatures displayed on that “South Park” episode. At least I didn’t perform a cheesy beat box song or break-dance routine like the “Butt Out” crew did to get my point across.

I just hope that as we take advantage of the convenient busses during spring semester (we should get around to changing that name to “frigid winter” semester), that we’re all respectful of everyone’s preferences.