Movie makes teen pregnancy funny after all

Juno. No, she’s not named after the city in Alaska, and she definitely does not like when people take life seriously.

The title character of 2007’s most delightful comedy, Juno, is more than a handful of original laughs and a magnetic charisma. With an offbeat personality that immediately wins our hearts, the pregnant 16-year-old main character pleasantly helps her audience navigate through the many tough decisions and ultimately grown-up situations that she inevitably faces and presents to the world.

It’s not easy to understand Juno, or maybe it’s just apparent in the way she thinks about herself. At first, the modern-day heroine comes off as another sassy teenager who just got herself in a heap of trouble. In her newly discovered pregnancy with a friend she believes to be the one she loves, this 16-year-old’s life seems to be completely disjointed. Still, with the help of her friends and the understanding of her parents, Juno has decisions to make on getting out of her situation the best way possible. As Juno claims, “I’m already pregnant, so what other kind of shenanigans could I possibly get into.”

It may have helped that the dialogue was so rich and original, but the performance by Ellen Page as Juno is unquestionably ingenious. Here’s a character who could have lost her friends, the support of her parents, and even a chance at her own life. Still, by the power of her sarcastic attitude and buoyant outlook, Juno defends how it is possible to create something special out of something that is otherwise taken as devastating.

It’s remarkable to see such an upbeat and jovial comedy with such significant characters and an important purpose. When dealing with its taboo themes, Juno creates a world that sees things as easily as they should be taken. Juno’s parents are a perfect example of the film’s expression of love, acceptance, and understanding. Seeing how strong the relationships are and how happy they make us feel, we wonder why our own lives even get so serious in the first place. Juno reminds us that there is nothing more simple than an undying respect or love for one another even when things might seem so bleak.

VITAL STATS

Four stars out of four