“Bag the Hero in You” next week at the blood drive

If you would like to help out in the community and make a difference in someone’s life then donating blood at next week’s blood drive could provide the perfect opportunity.

“Bag the Hero in You,” is a blood drive being held in the Multi-Purpose Room of the Union begins next Tuesday Jan. 22 and lasts through Friday Jan. 25 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Student intern for the American Red Cross Carly Schultz urges anyone eligible to donate blood to do so next week.

“We really need blood right now,” Schultz said.

Schultz explained the American Red Cross needs blood because the supply is low and fewer people are donating due to the winter weather.

“Because of the colder weather and it being flu season more blood is required especially this time of year; however fewer people tend to donate,” Schultz said.

Anyone between 110 and 350 pounds, at least 17 years old and feeling well on the day of donation is eligible to donate blood. Additionally anyone that gave blood during November’s Blood Bowl is eligible to give blood again.

Schultz thinks many people undervalue how important giving blood can be, but she stresses it is of a high necessity to donate.

“I know it sounds cheesy, but it is true – your one pint of donated blood can save three lives,” she said.

Junior Sara Scott realizes the importance of donating blood to help people needing blood.

“I think I will donate next week if I can find the time because it’s a good feeling to know you’re helping someone in need,” Scott said.

However for some people the anticipation of pain and needles prevents them from giving blood.

“Even though I would like to I don’t think I will give blood next week because I’m terrified of needles,” sophomore Matt Fledderjohann said.

Schultz realizes fear is the number one reason preventing people from giving blood, but asks people to overcome this obstacle in order to save lives.

“It really isn’t that painful and if I can do it; I believe anyone can because I absolutely hate needles,” Schultz said.

Schultz recalled an instance when her sorority sister needed blood for a blood transfusion and this is where donated blood goes to help in situations like this.

“All of the blood donated next week will be given to local hospitals in northwest Ohio and southeast Michigan,” Schultz said.

Anyone coming to give blood will need state issued identification such as a driver’s license and can expect the process to take around an hour.

Everyone that comes to the blood drive will receive free snacks and a multi-purpose bag that can used as a laundry bag and for other uses as well.

People wishing to help with the blood drive in other ways besides donating can e-mail [email protected] if interested.

“Just remember that it’s worth it to give blood because it can truly save a life,” Schultz said.