Women’s health is a priority at the University

Tucked between Oak Grove Cemetery and the music building, the Health Center is abuzz with the shuffling of insurance documents, a walk-up pharmacy and health-conscious female clients.

The ‘women’s clinic’, as it’s known to some at the University, isn’t a special building with offices and exam rooms of its own, but the name given to a few dedicated physicians operating within the Student Health Service.

The Center offers routine gynecological and breast exams, sexually-transmitted infection screening, prescription medicines and contraceptives, offering students the same services as the typical doctor’s office.

Students can check for STIs, including HIV, with a simple swab of their gums or a urine test. Women can now also choose from the pill, the ring, the patch or the shot, all available between economics and a trip the library.

Barbara Hoffman, a certified nursing practitioner who specializes in women’s health, said she is pleased new methods of testing and birth control are available at the University.

‘We’re very comprehensive in what we offer students,’ she said. Hoffman added that she’s amazed with the medical advancements in contraceptives and testing they offer as a college hospital. Students have access to advancements like the NuvaRing, DeproVera and emergency contraceptives, like the controversial ‘Plan B. ‘

In August 2006, proposed abortion coverage in the University’s mandated health insurance policy led to a large debate among students. Some were offended that their insurance premium could go toward paying for abortions for pregnant classmates. Ultimately, the coverage was dropped and students who wanted it were required to pay an additional premium.

Despite some vocal opposition on campus, Hoffman says the only roadblocks she’s encountered have been ordinary budgetary concerns, and affirmed area politics have not been a concern. She said her employment is proof that the University is concerned with health, not politics.

‘To have a women’s health practitioner – that speaks a lot in itself, ‘ she said. ‘There are a lot of campuses that don’t have one at all.’

Women’s Center Director Mary Krueger, who leads the women’s advocacy, said she refers students to the Health Center when they have reproductive health questions.

‘I hold the Health Center in very high regard, ‘ Krueger said, adding that on a sliding scale, the campus services are more affordable than those at the county hospital.

Though her five-by-eight square foot exam room is filled with updated equipment and health-related reading materials, Hoffman believes the Health Center has room to grow. Stirrups extended outward, Hoffman struggles to maneuver between the wall and table.

In December, the Board of Trustees announced that the Health Center would be renovated as part of a campus-wide renewal effort, and Hoffman said Health Center employees hope more, larger exam rooms are part of the update.

Construction is slated to begin in late 2009.

Three years ago, the staff expanded hours to see students later in the evening.

BGSU’s Health Center opens an hour earlier, and stays open three hours later Monday through Thursday, than Ohio University’s. Its hours also extend past those of Kent State, Ball State and Miami universities on most days.

Hoffman said the center’s later hours are symbolic of the center’s emphasis on accessibility.

Jacqueline Legg, business manager for Ohio University’s health services, said the Athens university needs to extend its hours once OU’s finances allow it.

For the staff at the Health Center, earlier shifts and extended hours are part of the job. Hoffman is still amused by surprised visitors to the Center.

‘It’s hard to imagine there’s still someone who doesn’t know we’re here,’ she said.