Coach’s corner with Gregg Brandon

Welcome to the Coach’s Corner, a weekly Q’A with one of the Universities head coaches. This week we sit down with Falcons’ head football coach Gregg Brandon.

Q: With so many solid recruits coming to BGSU this year, how would you compare this group to prior years’ high school recruits?

A: That is difficult to assess, when you project a 17-year-old high school kid to the next level. It’s kind of a guessing game. Until these kids get in the middle of the fray at this level, that’s hard to know how they’re going to compare. Ask me in a couple of years and I could give you a better answer.

Q: Do you recruit freshmen based on position needs or athletic ability?

A: A little bit of both. This year we lost a lot of players on the offensive line, so we made a point to recruit offensive line. But athletic ability is also a big plus in any position. In fact, our entire starting defensive secondary were all high school running backs. We try to get the best athletes at the skill positions.

Q: Do you foresee any freshmen competing for starting positions this year?

A: We will always give a player a chance to compete, but whether they crack the starting lineup is a different story. It’s tough for a young guy to come in and play right away.

Q: Overall, how did you feel about your team’s performance in the spring game?

A: Well, it was the play defensive struggle; it was good to see our defense can step up and succeed.

Q: What has working under great coaches like Mike Price, Gary Barnett and Urban Myer done for you?

A: I have learned a lot from all those guys throughout the years, some things I agreed with and some things I didn’t. I was able to pick and choose things from their coaching repertoire and adjust it to my own philosophy.

Q: With the success you have had at BGSU, what are your thoughts about moving up to a higher profile school?

A: You know I really don’t pay any attention to that because if I do, I will not be able to do my job here at Bowling Green. I’m of the philosophy that you should keep your head where your butt is, and my butt is here at BG.

Q: With all of your skill position starters returning, do you expect the offense to be as prolific as the one last year?

A: A lot of our success last year started with the offensive line and we lost three starters on the offensive line, including one to the NFL. As a coach, I’ll never be totally satisfied, it’s important to rebuild that group in order for the offense to remain successful.

Q: What is the one team that you would love to face here at “the Doyt”?

A: [laughs] Ohio State, but that will never happen!

Q: How will Tyler Sheehan’s experience help the team on Aug. 30 in Pittsburgh?

A: It really is a confidence thing, not just with him but his teammates as well. They know Tyler can get the ball to the open guy. And really, I expect nothing different when we go to Pittsburgh.

Q: What can you tell me about Pittsburgh’s all Big East running back LeSean McCoy?

A: Oh Boy! That kid is the real deal. We have faced great running backs before, and he is right up there. We have to commit stopping the run.

Q: How do you feel about large contributions from boosters going to the athletic department instead of to the University?

A: Anyone who wants to tour our old facilities, I would be more than happy to take them. The place was just not up to par with Division 1 standards. I think the contributions to the athletic department are justified. Contributions and donations come with no strings attached, so people who make large donations don’t really have an influence in the direction of our program, although I might let Mr. Sebo call our first play [laughs].

Q: After such a great season, what went wrong in the GMAC bowl against Tulsa?

A: Well, it was a one-game shot, and with four turnovers, we weren’t really helping ourselves. People tend to forget the team we played against had the best offense in the country, averaging over 500 yards a game.

Q: How do you bring your players back after a loss like that?

A: We tried to forget about it. We had a little ritual over the winter where we took the tape of the game and tossed it into a fire, letting our kids know that past is the past, and it’s time to start over.