Dorms are integral to campus life

You walk on to campus a starry-eyed freshman expecting to walk up marble steps into your Hyatt Regency dorm room. Instead, you walk into Motel 6, where they didn’t even leave the light on for you.

Is it worth it? Is paying an obscene amount of money to live in a shoebox-size room worth it? As we near the end of yet another year, we think back to the joys of dorm life.

In fact, some residents of Conklin life enjoyed themselves so much this year that they are demanding their money back. Their complaints stretch from here to Founders, and they have asked the school to consider giving them free room and board next year.

Their complaints? Among them were that the toilets don’t work, the wall outlets spark and hiss, the furniture breaks, and many, many more. Is this too much to ask?

The idea behind dorm life is to have a community of students who enjoy living together, and have fun with their college years.

However, we all know that the dorms aren’t all the brochure says they are.

The toilets don’t always work, the furniture isn’t the best and you live in a mousehole for nine months. And to add to all that, you have a snoring, belching, hermit roommate named Liz – who you may or may not get along with.

Is it too much to ask that the room be clean before we move in? It might also be a plus that the various utilities work in the bathroom. Taking the time to find a flushing toilet isn’t always a luxury that we always have. Tell that to your hallmate hopping around in agony in the bathroom. And you wonder why people use the showers as a toilet.

We know that this isn’t a palace. We aren’t little princes and princesses running around making unreal demands (well, most of us aren’t). But it isn’t much to ask that the temperatures be comfortable in the dorms. In the fall and spring, they feel like a nursing home, and in the winter, you can swear you’re living in a Frigidaire.

There will always be drawbacks to living in a communal situation. You have to deal with the incessant noise, the ungodly hours people keep, and the insane amount of false alarms. It’s not too tough to make our stay a little more enjoyable by fixing our facilities and regulating our heat.

The dorms are a huge operation to run, but we pay a huge amount of money to live here. We are paying to have decent living facilities.

In terms of socializing, there aren’t many better places than a college dorm. That’s the redeeming quality to them. Make them more comfortable, and the students will come. By the droves.

We can’t really complain too much more. Our dorms are safe. They keep us dry, for the most part. And they give us the unique chance to live within four feet of all our friends.

Basic living necessities are a must. We have every right to expect that we get a decent room for the money we pay. But to demand too much is just stupid. This isn’t the Hyatt, and we aren’t celebrities. There is no room service in Kreischer.

So, remember, it could be a lot worse. After all, Liz could tell you that Bo, her boyfriend, will be sleeping in your bed tonight.