Basketball defeats Argentina All-Stars

It was a win, but the 101-86 victory by the Bowling Green men’s basketball team over the Argentina Select team didn’t have that winning feeling to BG coach Dan Dakich.

“We looked like a team that didn’t have a clue what it was doing,” said Dakich. “I don’t think we got a whole lot out of a lot of people that have been here before. I was just disappointed in how we played.”

It was a win, but less than spectacular for the Falcons considering Youngstown State beat Argentina by 36 Friday. The following night Detroit-Mercy beat the Argentinians 89-48.

“I feel like we lost,” Dakich said. “You have to play better than this. It was way below my expectations.”

Argentina Select jumped out to a 7-2 lead before the Falcons clawed back to take the lead at 16-14 lead on a bucket by junior Cory Ryan. The game was once again deadlocked at 28 before back-to-back dunks by Falcon center Len Matela and forward Josh Almanson. BG went into the half with a 44-34 advantage and would hold the lead for good.

Matela led the way for the Falcons with a team-high 21 points. The senior also added six rebounds. Almanson and guard Brandon Pardon added 12 apiece.

Dakich did see a few positives about the game, mostly from his underclassman.

“I thought [Germain] Fitch played well, Dakich said. “He didn’t make his shots, but I thought [Kris] Wilson played well also. I liked the fact that Jabari [Mattox] stepped up.”

“We haven’t worked against the press or the zone or any soft defense,” Dakich said. “That might have been part of the offensive problem … although 101 points isn’t much of a problem.”

In the second half, senior guard Keith McLeod’s game was cut short by Dakich after getting in a confrontation with Select’s Pablo Hoya. McLeod was driving the lane when Hoya reached in and tangled with McLeod. After the technical, Dakich sent McLeod to the locker room to cool off.

“The guy was probably being cheap and dirty, but you can’t react that way,” Dakich said. “You’ve got to be able to control yourself.” The Falcons will host Shawnee State in an exhibition at Anderson Arena Thursday at 7 p.m.