Bowling Green baseball blanks Kent State 10-0  

After recording their first shutout of the season, the Falcons can clinch a MAC Tournament berth with a win over KSU on Sunday
Jack Walsh
Bowling Green, OH – Falcons cheering for the home run at Steller Field in Bowling Green, Ohio

The Bowling Green baseball team (23-13, 18-2 MAC) blanked Kent State (21-20, 11-9 MAC) on Saturday afternoon, evening the series at one game apiece, 10-0.  

The win marks BG’s 18th conference victory, tied for the third most in a season in program history. The win is also BGSU’s first over the Golden Flashes since Apr. 9, 2022, ending a five-game losing streak against KSU.  

The Falcons reached double-digit runs for the 18th time this season and shut out their opponent for the first time. 

Bowling Green’s offense wasted no time getting started. The Falcons scored twice in the top of the first inning.  

Junior outfielder Nathan Archer scored on a sacrifice fly by senior infielder Tyler Ross before senior outfielder Jack Krause drove in freshman catcher Garrett Wright with a single.  

The Orange and Brown blew the game open in the third inning, scoring five runs with two outs to take a commanding 7-0 lead.  

Senior infielder Leighton Banjoff scored on a bases-loaded walk, Archer drove in two runs with a single and Wright scored two with a double.  

All nine batters came to the plate in the top of the third for BG.  

The game paused for nearly an hour after the fifth inning concluded due to a brief thunderstorm.  

The Falcons continued to pile on the runs when play resumed in the sixth inning, adding three to extend their lead to 10-0.  

Banjoff drove in Wright with a sacrifice fly before a single by junior outfielder Gavin Ganun scored two more.  

Bowling Green starting pitcher, junior Nic Good, lived up to his last name, throwing five scoreless innings and earning his fourth win.  

The left-hander allowed just three hits and two walks while striking two Golden Flashes across 81 pitches.  

Senior pitcher Isaiah Seidel relieved Good after the weather delay. The right-hander pitched three scoreless innings, giving up two hits and two walks while striking out two.  

Sophomore left-hander Luke Krouse got the game’s final three outs for BGSU.  

Graduate pitcher Joe Miceli, Kent State’s starter, had a rough outing. He pitched just 2.2 innings and was tagged with his second loss of the season.  

The teams combined for just 12 hits, with BGSU leading the category 7-5.  

The Falcons also drew nine walks compared to KSU’s six.  

Wright was the only Falcon to finish with a multi-hit performance. Meanwhile, Wright, Archer and Ganun all drove in two runs.  

Wright was also hit by two pitches, extending his season tally to 15, the most by a Falcon since TJ Blanton during the 2010 campaign.  

Sophomore infielder Sam Seidel did not record a hit but walked twice, extending his on-base streak to a team-high 40 games dating back to last season.  

Next, the Orange and Brown will wrap up their series against the Golden Flashes tomorrow, with the first pitch set for 1 p.m.  

Since Miami (OH) has won the first two games of their series against Eastern Michigan, the Falcons will clinch a Mid-American Conference (MAC) Tournament berth with a win over Kent State on Sunday.