Falcons defeat Division-leading Akron, CMU

The volleyball team was unstoppable this weekend as they defeated Central Michigan Friday and the Mid-American Conference East Division leader, Akron, Saturday.

These two wins improve the Falcons record to 16-6 overall and 9-5 in the MAC and put them within a half-game of the division leading Zips. BG is now 8-1 at home and have won their past four home matches.

The Falcons good fortune started Friday when they faced off against Central Michigan. They defeated the Chippewas in four games (30-25, 30-27, 25-30, 30-28).

Game one was a hitting battle as each team posted extremely high hitting percentages. Central hit .371, while BG hit an unbelievable .472.

“Offensively I thought we looked really good,” said head coach Denise Van De Walle. “I was very impressed. However, I was a little bit disappointed that we didn’t have great passing in game three because I really thought we could have won and should have won in three.”

The Chippewas came out in game three scoring the first four points and held on to a 13-10 lead until senior Amber Vorst recorded a kill that started a Falcon 11-1 scoring streak. This put the Falcons up 24-13, but they were unable to hold onto the lead. Then the table turned and the Falcons found themselves struggling to stay in the game as the Chippewas scored 15 consecutive points.

“That was poor passing at that point,” Van De Walle said. “We got stuck and their server (Elizabeth Passen) served six straight points. It’s very hard to run your offense when the ball is all over the place.”

Game four was another close game. The Chippewas started out with a 9-5 lead, but the Falcons rallied back to take the lead 24-19. A few serves later junior Kristin Gamby had a match-ending kill and posted a match-high 21 kills on the evening.

Senior Caty Rommeck had 16 kills, while sophomore Susie Norris had 14 kills and a match-high 17 digs.

“I thought our middles did a very nice job,” Van De Walle said. “Offensively I was pleased with Sara [Sikorski] coming in game three. I thought she did a nice job. She made some very good choices. Amber (Vorst) also came in and did a very nice job.”

The Falcons hit .314 as a team and had 76 kills, while the Chippewas hit .252 and had 65 kills.

Saturday was a different story as the Falcons battled against the MAC East Division leading Zips to beat Akron in four games (16-30, 30-20, 30-19, 32-30).

“Akron has a very good team,” Van De Walle said. “They run their offense very well. Their setter spreads the ball around.”

The first three games were one-sided. The Zips came out and took control of the first game defeating the Falcons by a 14 point margin. Akron hit an amazing .468 as a team, while BG hit only .103.

The Falcons dominated games two and three and came out on top in a close game four.

The Zips had a seven point lead at one point in the fourth game, but the Falcons did not give up and tied the game at 25.

“I’m so impressed with our composure when it got tight because we’ve shown in the past when it got tight, like 25 or 27 points, that’s when our passing has broken down,” Van De Walle said. “When it was 28-29 we were able to pass the ball.”

BG found themselves back in the game keeping it tied all the way until the end. Vorst came in with the game tied and had match ending block assists with Rommeck to end the match 32-30.

“I’m so impressed with Amber coming in off the bench in the most heated of situations,” Van De Walle said. “We’re playing for the match when I put her in and she got a big block. That was a momentum change. Then after that she got a dig down the line. That’s what you call doing your job.”

Vorst wasn’t the only one who had a great match. Van De Walle said it was a total team effort.

“I really want to credit the whole team,” Van De Walle said. “I’m happy to see double-digit kills from Laura Twyman.”