Race for Division title tightens

The volleyball team is hoping to end this season in the same fashion as last year – on the winning track. So far they are doing everything right to accomplish that goal.

The Falcons defeated Marshall Friday in three games and went on to beat Ohio Saturday in four games to extend their winning streak to six.

These two wins also tied the Falcons for first place in the Mid-American Conference East Division with Akron. BG now has an 18-6 overall record and and 11-5 in the MAC, while Akron is 17-6 overall and 11-5 in conference matches.

The Falcons downed the Thundering Herd with game scores of 30-21, 30-25 and 30-25.

“It was good to win in three against Marshall,” said head coach Denise Van De Walle.”But I want to focus more on the Ohio match. It was one of our best offensive matches.”

BG defeated Ohio in an impressive four game rally with game scores of 30-17, 30-23, 27-30 and 30-13.

“We won the first two game relatively easily,”Van De Walle said. “We let the third game slip away from us, but it was worth it to go to four games to see how well we played. We had 20 kills and no errors in game four. Our passing was rock solid. We blocked well and attacked well.”

Senior Caty Rommeck led the Flacons with 22 kills to pass the 1,000 kill mark for her career. She now has a total of 1,014 kills in her career at BG and is just the 10th player to reach this mark.

Rommeck helped the Falcons end the match with a season best .337 hitting percentage.

“Everyone played so well,” Van De Walle said. “The kills were very impressive. We had 78 kills in four games. That’s 19 kills a game which is unheard of.”

Rommeck, senior Shyann Robinson, junior Kristin Gamby and sophomore Susie Norris combined for 67 of BG’s 78 kills.

The Falcons held the Bobcats offense to only 11 blocks while having 19 more digs than Ohio (78-59). Five BG players had 10 or more digs during the match.

Norris recorded 17 kills and 15 digs, hitting .349, while Robinson had 15 kills and a team high 16 digs.

Senior setter Natalie Becker led the team with 52 set assists and two service aces. She also had two blocks on the evening.

Cleveland State

Tonight the Falcons will take on Cleveland State at home in Anderson Arena at 7 p.m.

The Falcons are hoping to end the season with 21 wins and need to beat the Vikings in order to do this.

“Cleveland State helps us get our 21 wins,” Van De Walle said. “A lot is riding on this week. We need these wins.”

The Vikings have a 7-17 overall record and are 2-12 in their conference (the Horizon League).

The Falcons trail Cleveland State in the all time series between the two teams 13-11, but the Falcons have won the last two matches and 10 of the last 11 contests.

“We need to focus on our side of the net,” Van De Walle said. “We need to have very few unforced errors and play big at the net. We need to attack well and block well.”