Volleyball goes for first place

This weekend holds the key to the Bowling Green volleyball team’s future. It is currently ranked tenth in the Mideast Region and tied with Akron for first in the Mid-American Conference East Division. Friday the Falcons will travel to Kent State and they will return to Anderson Arena to face Toledo for their last match of the regular season. The Falcons have yet to lose at home against the Rockets.

“We need to win both matches this weekend,” said head coach Denise Van De Walle. “If we win both matches we are assured to host in the MAC Tournament and to win the East Division. A lot is riding on this weekend.”

If they win both matches this weekend they are guaranteed no less than to tie for first place in the MAC East with Akron.

The Falcons have already clinched a berth in the MAC Tournament and need just one win this weekend to earn a home-court berth for the quarterfinal round.

They currently hold a seven game winning streak and a 9-1 record at home, while the Falcons are 6-5 on the road and 4-0 in neutral site matches.

“We went five games with both teams earlier in the season,” Van De Walle said. “We lost the first two games against Kent State and came back to win the next three. Both matches were tough for us the first time around. We lost to Toledo in five up there.”

BG is currently 19-6 overall and 11-5 in the MAC, while Kent State is 14-11 overall and 8-8 in the MAC.

“Kent is a tough place to play,” Van De Walle said. “They play great defense. They are 5-5 in their last 10 matches, while we are 8-2. We’ve been doing really well toward the end of the season.”

The Falcons hold a 35-12 advantage in the series over the Golden Flashes and beat them in five tough games earlier in the season. “We need to play big at the net in both matches,” Van De Walle said. “We need to have very few unforced errors.”

Toledo has a 16-9 overall record including a 9-7 record in the MAC. The Falcons lost to Toledo earlier in the season and split the series with them last year.

The Falcons also lead Toledo in overall wins, 39-9, and hold a perfect 21-0 home record in the series versus the Rockets. This is one of the longest winning streaks in Bowling Green history.

“Toledo serves well and blocks well,” Van De Walle said. “They are 6-4 in their last 10 matches.”