Health Center gets ready for flu season

Following last year’s flu vaccine shortage, Student Health Services and the Wood County Health Department have taken steps to prevent the same scenario this year.

The Health Services ordered 1,440 vaccines ahead of time this year. Pharmaceutical companies also produced more of the vaccine this year.

Any student with upper respiratory problems, cancer or allergies may recieve the vaccine at the Student Health Services beginning Oct. 15 said Betty DeSilvio, registered nurse at the Health Services. Also, all other students may receive the vaccine beginning Nov. 1. Scheduled times that the Health Services will be offering the vaccine to students are as follows; Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 8-11:15 a.m. then 1:30-3 p.m., as well as Thursday from 9:30-11 a.m. and 1:30-3:30 p.m. The cost for students is $6.

Faculty and staff may receive the vaccine any time from Nov. 5-Dec.14. The cost for faculty and staff is $12, and the vaccine will be given Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 8-10.

No appointments are needed, and patients are asked to bring their student or faculty identification card. Anyone with questions can call the Student Health Services at 372-2271.

To remedy this problem, the Wood County Health Department began administering the vaccine to senior citizens, and people with high risk health problems on Oct. 1 said Loretta Maher, registered nurse at the Health Department.

Shots will be available for the general public starting Nov. 1. The Health Department will hold four clinics throughout the month of November. The first clinic will be Nov. 1 from 1:30-3:30 at the Westin Public Library. The final three clinics will be November 8 from 9:30-11:30, November 13 from 5-7, and November 15 from 1-3, all at The Wood County Health Department. The cost for the vaccine is $12.