University football might move to MAC West Division

The Bowling Green football team may be moving West next season.

Bowling Green, currently in the Mid-American Conference East Division, may move to the West Division to make room for Central Florida, which will be included in the MAC for football only beginning next year, according to MAC spokesman Gary Richter. There are currently six teams in the MAC West and seven teams in the East.

“Because of the unbalanced divisions, it’s an unbalanced schedule,” Richter said. “Right now, the teams in the East are playing eight conference games but in the West two teams are playing eight games and four are playing seven.”

He said adding Central Florida into the mix would balance out the schedule so that all conference teams are playing the same amount of in-conference games.

Plans will be discussed at a director’s meeting later this week to decide how to include Central Florida into the conference. However, the main point of discussion will be the Falcons switching divisions.

Although Central Florida is not in the general proximity of the other teams in the MAC, Richter said it is important for them to join the conference.

“It’s going to help the Mid-American Conference in television exposure and there’s not a lot of teams to choose from.”

There are five independent teams, including Central Florida, that would have potentially been able to join the Mid American Conference.

According to J.D. Campbell, director of athletic communications, the athletic department is currently looking into all aspects of what kind of an impact switching divisions would have.

“We are compiling information so that the president can make the right decision,” he said.