Couch, Browns ready to payback prankster

BEREA, Ohio – Tim Couch hasn’t forgotten slipping on socks filled with Vaseline. Or the time his Browns’ practice jersey was coated with deer urine.

Yep, Ty Detmer’s legacy in Cleveland lives on.

Detmer, who will start as quarterback against his former team Sunday when the Detroit Lions visit Cleveland, was the Browns’ resident prankster during his 2 1/2 years here.

“He pulled off a whole lot of good ones,” said linebacker Wali Rainer.

In addition to his staple Vaseline and deer urine stunts, Detmer, who was traded to the Lions earlier this month, became famous for dumping tubs of ice water on unsuspecting players in bathroom stalls.

And now that Detmer’s coming back, Couch isn’t going to let his guard down for a second.

“I won’t put it past him,” Couch said. “There’s going to be something showing up in my locker, something showing up in my pants. I’m sure something’s coming. I’m going to be checking everything and be on the lookout for him.”

For all his tomfoolery, Detmer also served as a mentor to Cleveland’s third-year quarterback.

Couch replaced Detmer as the Browns’ starting QB just two games into the 1999 season. Following a 43-0 loss to Pittsburgh in their first game back in the NFL after a three-year hiatus, then-Browns coach Chris Palmer decided to bench Detmer in favor of Couch, the expansion club’s No. 1 overall draft pick that year.

But instead of sulking or complaining about the demotion, Detmer took Couch under his wing and helped guide him through a tough rookie season.

“I don’t think there’s anyone who could have handled the situation better,” said Couch. “He never had any hard feelings towards me. He was obviously upset that he wasn’t going to be the starter any more, but he never took it out on me.”

Couch said he constantly leaned on Detmer for support. After a bad throw or misread, Couch said Detmer was the first person he looked for after leaving the field.

“He was really important,” Couch said. “It was a great opportunity for me to come in as a rookie and have someone who had so much experience in the league and knew the ins and outs to teach me the way and show me how to become a good quarterback, how to study film and how to read defenses. He definitely taught me a lot.”

Detmer’s return also provides an ironic twist to this week’s Lions-Browns matchup.

Two years after being benched following a Week 1 loss, Detmer has replaced Charlie Batch as Detroit’s starter.

Lions coach Marty Mornhinweg made the switch to Detmer after Batch was ineffective, throwing two interceptions in a 28-6 loss at Green Bay on Sept. 9.

Detmer, acquired by the Lions for a fourth-round pick after months of rumors he was headed to Detroit, played for Green Bay and San Francisco when Mornhinweg was an assistant with those teams. Couch said he’s happy his good friend is getting another chance to be an NFL starter.

“I’m happy for him. He deserves it,” said Couch. “He’s a guy who could start on a lot of teams in this league. He’s definitely well-deserving of it. I know he’s happy he’s getting an opportunity. I’m sure he’s sorry for the way things worked out with Charlie, but he’s also grateful he’s getting the opportunity he’s gotten.”