No shock: Marshall on top

There was no surprise when the Mid-American Conference announced Marshall as its preseason favorite to win the East Division. After all, the Thundering Herd have won the previous three Motor City Bowls. The MAC East Division is growing stronger and the loss of 22 starters could help some other East Division teams upset Marshall for the crown.

A full preview of the Western Division will be in Thursday’s edition. Teams are listed in the predicted order of finish.

1. Marshall

Head Coach: Bob Pruett

2000 record: 8-5 (5-1 in the MAC)

Letterwinners returning/lost: 37/22

Starters returning/lost: 12/12

The Thundering Herd finds itself in a familiar position once again this year. Not only is the team predicted to finish first in the East, but they once again have a Heisman candidate hopeful. The four-time defending MAC champions are touting their quarterback, Byron Leftwich, as a Heisman hopeful. Leftwich was one of the most prolific passers in the country last season throwing for 3,358 yards. The Thundering Herd has won the last three Motor City Bowls.

Marshall opens the season on the road against preseason national champion favorite Florida. They will also battle Massachusetts and Texas Christian before opening the conference at home against Bowling Green.

2. Ohio Head Coach: Brian Knorr

2000 record: 7-4 (5-3 in the MAC)

Letterwinners returning/lost: 44/11

Starters returning/lost: 19/6

With 19 starters returning from last years 7-4 squad, Ohio is considered one of the preseason favorites to not only win the East, but also vie for a MAC championship with Marshall, Toledo and Western Michigan. New Bobcat coach Brian Knorr will try to keep last year’s consistency with the team. Ohio pulled out a big win on the road against Minnesota and at home against Marshall last year. The Bobcats return three solid rushers in quarterback Dontrell Jackson, tailback Chad Brinker and fullback Jamel Patterson. The trio combined for over 2,200 rushing yards and 19 touchdowns.

After playing on the road against Akron in the season opener, the Bobcats three tough contests at West Virginia and North Carolina State, then at home against Iowa State.

3. Miami Head Coach: Terry Hoeppner

2000 record: 6-5 (5-3 in the MAC)

Letterwinners returning/lost: 36/23

Starters returning/lost: 12/12

The RedHawks have three quarterbacks that could all end up seeing game action. Coach Terry Hoeppner said he will give redshirt sophomore and Findlay native Ben Roethlisberger his first collegiate start when Miami opens the season at Michigan. Sophomore Ryan Hawk and true freshman Josh Betts could be rotated in.

Miami started last year strong with wins over Vanderbilt, Eastern Michigan and a hard-fought 27-16 loss to Ohio State. The RedHawks declined toward the end of the season, losing a shocker to Ball State and falling to Cincinnati and Marshall. Like Akron, Miami will have two battles with Big 10 squads Michigan and Iowa to open the season. The RedHawks will also play non-conference matches with Cincinnati and Hawaii.

4. Akron

Head Coach: Lee Owens

2000 Record: 6-5 overall (5-1 in the MAC)

Letterwinners returning/lost: 45/20

Starters returning/lost: 13/9

The Zips surprised the conference with their tough play on the road last year. Akron pulled off consecutive road victories against Ohio, Miami and Bowling Green. They return 1,000 yard rusher Brandon Payne who scored 13 touchdowns for the team last season.

Akron will get a double dose of Big 10 competition with games against Ohio State and Purdue early in the season. They open tomorrow with the first MAC battle of the season against Ohio.

5. Bowling Green

Head Coach: Urban Meyer

2000 record: 2-9 0overall (2-6 in the MAC

Letterwinners returning/lost: 46/13

Starters returning/lost: 17/5

New Falcon coach Urban Meyer brings the one-back offensive scheme to try to boost offensive production. The Falcons’ biggest monkey on their back last season was their ability to finish games. BG led in every conference game except against Toledo going into the fourth quarter.

The Falcons face a challenging non-conference schedule which includes the season opener at Missouri and bouts with South Carolina and Temple.

6. Kent State

Head Coach: Dean Pees

2000 record: 1-10 (1-7 in the MAC)

Letterwinners returning/lost: 45/15

Starters returning/lost: 17/7

The Golden Flashes and coach Dean Pees continued their losing ways last season with their lone win coming on the road at Central Michigan. While not much is expected from Kent State this year, it is a more experienced team with 17 returning starters.

Kent will open its season on the road at Iowa Saturday. The Golden Flashes will also have non-conference bouts with Bucknell and West Virginia before their first MAC road game against BG.

7. Buffalo

Head Coach: Jim Hofher

2000 record: 2-9 (2-4 in the MAC)

Letterwinners returning/lost: 39/22

Starters returning/lost: 14/8

The Bulls won their first Mid-American Conference game against Bowling Green last year, but struggled the rest of the season. Buffalo hired new coach Jim Hofher who served as quarterbacks coach at Syracuse last season. Hofher brings a pro-style offense to the Bulls.

Buffalo will open the season at home against Rutgers. The Scarlet Knights massacred the Bulls 59-0 last year. Buffalo will play two other non-conference games against Army and Connecticut.