Benefit held for Al-Mar partons

Many Bowling Green residents lost a great deal of equipment in the fire that consumed Al-Mar Colonial Lanes last December.

In order to help pay for these items, a benefit raffle will be held in The Fraternal Order of Eagles’ banquet room on Friday from 7p.m.-midnight.

A lot of those Al-Mar Lanes frequenters are unable to afford the insurance on their equipment and Bill Wammes, the owner, will not be able to cover their losses, according to Jarvie Plotner, who is in charge of the benefit.

The benefit will include a raffle, silent auction, food and drinks.

According to Plotner, much of the city is getting involved with the fundraiser. Pisanello’s, Video Connection, and Mr. Spots will be among the businesses donating items to the event.

‘We’re going to have a ball; going to have fun,’ said Sally Glenn, Bowling Green resident and regular patron of the alley.

A number of citizens had bowled at the alley for most of their lives and feel that this will be a good way to give back to Bill Wammes, the man responsible for giving them years of entertainment.

‘A lot of people look up to the man and owe him for his expertise,’ Plotner said. ‘This is sort of our way to give back.’

Glenn agreed, saying, ‘He’s done a lot for the kids in the town and even the adults.’

Among the goodwill that Wammes has bestowed upon the community was teaching bowling classes and helping out the local high school students.

One story Plotner remembered about Wammes’ giving was when Bowling Green High School lost it’s equipment. Wammes and his crew spent a Saturday drilling holes in bowling balls and fitting the students for their equipment.

‘Bill is a close, personal friend of mine. I’ve seen him give so much to the community,’ Plotner said.

Plotner is grateful for all that Al-Mar meant to his family during its existence.

‘We bowled four days a week at that alley,’ he said. ‘My son shot his first 200 at Al-Mar.’