Resident opposed to apartment complex

At the city council meeting Tuesday night, a Bowling Green resident warned that building an apartment complex in the area of Napoleon and Klotz Roads would bring opposition from the neighborhood.

Ruthann Beaverson of Vale Court said the developer, Dinerstein Companies, told residents in a private meeting that the 120 four-bedroom living units would be marketed to University students.

‘The percentage of adults (in the area) over 25 could drop to 6.5 percent,’ she said.

Citing the possible problems of drinking and vandalism students might bring to the neighborhood as well as a depletion in property value, she said town residents would protest against the project.

The Council tabled the ordinance that would have approved the apartment development until the Feb. 5 meeting.

Beaverson promised residents would be there to voice their concerns.

Also at the meeting:

* A certificate of merit award was presented to Patrolman Scott Smith of the Bowling Green Police Division. Last November, Smith assisted another patrolman in saving the life of a choking teenager. The National Red Cross also delivered a certificate to Smith along with medals.