Krebs ends 7-year run at BG; takes job at NMU

After seven years as the athletic director at BGSU, Paul Krebs has accepted a position to be the director of athletics at the University of New Mexico. The announcement came Sunday from acting University of New Mexico President David Harris, who introduced Krebs in a press conference yesterday afternoon.

“In an exceptional field of applicants, Paul was the strongest candidate,” Harris said. “We were especially impressed with the emphasis he places on academic performance and the overall integration of the student-athlete into campus life.”

Krebs received a five-year contract from New Mexico – details of which will not be announced until finalized. Krebs is expected to start his position at UNM sometime in June.

“I’m excited and our family is excited to be here,” Krebs said. “It’s a great opportunity for us. I think it’s a dream job; an opportunity to be the leader of an outstanding athletic program that is the flagship university in the state.”

Over the last 25 years, Krebs has served on the athletics administrations of the University of Oklahoma, Ohio State and BGSU. A Canfield, Ohio, native and 1978 BG alumnus, Krebs has also held the title of Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs at BGSU since 2003.

“We have been fortunate to have had outstanding leadership from Paul Krebs the last seven years,” said BGSU Vice President of Student Affairs Dr. Ed Whipple. “Our athletic and academic performance has been superb thanks to his efforts. We wish Paul and his family all the best.”

The impact left by Krebs is indisputable. Bowling Green had a 76 percent graduation rate in the latest NCAA report, the highest in school history and the best in the Mid-American Conference. Additionally, the BGSU graduation rate for student-athletes exhausting eligibility was at least 92 percent every year from 2003-05.

“I think the overall success both on and off the field that occurred during his tenure has helped to create a greater sense of pride at BGSU,” said Assistant Athletic Director J.D. Campbell.

Krebs will replace Rudy Davalos, who announced his retirement from UNM last October following 13 years as the school’s athletic director.

“I’ve known Paul personally and professionally for more than 20 years,” said Michael J. Cleary, Executive Director of the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics. “He is just an outstanding young man and someone who will be a great asset to the University of New Mexico. I think it’s a great fit for him and for the University.”

As for filling the vacancy left by Krebs at BGSU, Whipple has announced that he will be meeting shortly with university president Sidney Ribeau to determine their next course of action.