Art Walk is a stroll in the park

Artists young and old will be on display all across Bowling Green this weekend as part of the 14th annual Art Walk: a fine arts and contemporary craft fair.

There are 27 stops on the walk, many of them local businesses and art galleries.

They will be showcasing the work of many local artists and craftsmen from noon to 5 p.m. tomorrow, no matter what the weather may hold.

The event is free to the public and there will be guided tours, prizes, demonstrations, an architectural scavenger hunt and plenty of original artwork for sale.

“The whole idea is to highlight our local artists and our local businesses,” said Earlene Kilpatrick of Main Street Bowling Green.

Barbara Rothrock, who runs Calico, Sage ‘ Thyme, has participated in the Art Walk every year since its beginning.

“It is a good thing if the weather is nice. It’s a lot of fun,” she said.

Rothrock explained that her business will be testing the limits of just what is considered art this weekend.

“We’ll have a local musician who plays native flutes. That’s stretching it, that’s musical arts,” she said. “Then we’re stretching it even further to the culinary arts. We’ll have a local man who makes his own salsas and he’ll be sampling and selling those,” she said.

Calico, Sage ‘ Thyme will also feature pottery demonstrations throughout the day by Brandon Knott, a local elementary school art teacher.

Around the corner, Tracy Schupp, who owns and operates Loving Traditions Yarn Shoppe, is participating in her second Art Walk and is hoping for sunny skies.

“Last year the weather was really crappy,” she said.

Loving Traditions will feature a homemade hat competition. The entries, mostly hand knitted or crocheted, were submitted by customers and will be on display for everyone to vote on, she explained.

The Wood County Senior Center will feature watercolors painted by local seniors, and Huntington National Bank will display art from Crim and Milton Elementary schools as well as The Montessori School of Bowling Green.

Most of the displays will be downtown but two are located on BGSU’s campus and another is located at Bowling Green High School.

The BGSU Fine Arts Gallery will host the MFA II Thesis Exhibition as part of he walk and the BGSU Art’s Village will have their spring show in the Kreischer quad.

BGHS will feature the “Boomers and Beyond” exhibit which showcases mixed media from the Wood County Committee on Aging Artists.

Maps for the event are available online at www.downtownbgohio.org as well as at any of the participating businesses.