Attacking the dustballs

The snow has melted, the weather is warmer and the flowers are in bloom. As we shed our winter coats and layers it may be a good idea to also rid ourselves of clutter and do some spring cleaning.

David Shagllaerver, senior, starts out his spring-cleaning “to do list” by cleaning out his car.

“I like my car to be clean,” he said. “But as far as the house goes, I open up the windows to let some fresh air in and I sweep and dust.”

Shagllaerver describes himself as a clean kind of guy that hates messes.

But many students tend to overlook the idea of cleaning for spring and fail to realize how important cleaning is to a healthy life.

Over the course of the year, students can accumulate more belongings than what they initially start out with. When this is the case, it might be a good idea to clean out junk before the semester is over, not only to get more organized, but alsofor personal health as well.

Bacteria concentrations are almost always higher indoors versus outdoors, according to the Journal of Environmental Health of the National Environmental Health Association.

The journal also says that human activity is the leading cause of bacterial presence and there are no trends associated with seasons. To prevent bacterial build-up, the journal highly recommends practicing good housekeeping year-round.

One common problem that is often overlooked is dust, which collects in houses, apartments and resident halls. Dust mites, which can be found in fibers such as carpets and beds, live on dust and can provoke allergic reactions for people living in dusty conditions.

To prevent any minor health problems that could result from an unclean space, the journal recommends sweeping and vacuuming floors and carpets, washing dirty clothing and cleaning areas that attract dust and dirt.

Janelle Hunter, freshman and resident of Harshman Bromfield, is in the process of spring-cleaning. She said that for spring she will take all her winter clothes out of her closet and organize her “spring collection.”

“I clean up all the time, not just in spring,” she said.

And the apartment landlords are also beginning to clean for spring.

John Newlove Real Estate Inc. plans to hire cleaning companies to clean all rental properties and apartment units over the summer, according to an office employee.

But some students like Adonna Blasko, senior, don’t do much for spring-cleaning, however she does reorganize her closet.

“I throw out things that pile up over the winter, and clean out clutter,” she said.