A day in the life of a Campus Patrolman

While some students choose to ride their bikes around campus on the sidewalks, Jeremy Davies, campus patrolman, prefers to ride his bike on the steps.

“I am a bike officer too, so we have to work on agility and riding down the steps,” Davies said. “While training in Dayton, we had to ride down a set of 27 steps in order to pass our test.”

Davies, who has been working as an on-campus patrolman for about two and a half years now, has had plenty of experience prior to joining the squad on campus.

He worked for the Lima police department and was their crime prevention officer.

“I didn’t get to handle a gun or anything,” he said. “Basically my job was to document gang graffiti and we also went to people’s houses that were burglarized and tried to show them the proper steps to avoid being burglarized in the future.”

After working in Lima, Davies worked as a corrections officer at the Marion Correctional Institute and then started working at the University.

Just like any other job, Davies had to complete a lot of training to get where he is today. First he had to go through Ohio Police Officers Training Association, which every law officer has to do in Ohio. He then had to complete the three-month Field Training Operation program which is separated into three phases which include geography, law enforcement and application.

“Once we complete FTO we go out on our own but someone follows us to make sure that we are doing the job right and make sure that we are doing what we are trained to do,” Davies said.

Davies likes being a patrolman because he says everyday is different and it is never the same old thing.

“There is no typical day of work here,” he said. “Everyday brings something new. The environment can change quickly and you have to adapt to it.”

Davies has had a lot of unique experience while being a patrolman and is not surprised by much.

“I have been in law enforcement for eleven years now and I have seen a lot,” he said. “Before coming here I saw a kid with a hammer going through his head and I had seen an elderly lady who was lying in her bed after being stabbed to death. I have been around so many different places and everywhere you go brings something different.”

Davies particularly likes working at the University because of those reasons.

“The best part of my job is the diversity,” he said. “The different type of calls and the different type of people that I get to deal with.”

As far as calls go, Davies says that roughly the average officer responds to around 500 to 535 calls per year. Most of the calls are either a blue light going on around campus, burglar alarms, fire alarms or assault, but they have to be ready for anything.

“My job can go from me just doing some crime prevention talks to taking statements from rape victims at the hospital,” he said. “You name it, we do it.”

Besides working in law enforcement, Davies enjoys carpentry and has just built a house in Henry County near Defiance, Ohio. He also likes to “work and tinker on things.”

The patrolman describes himself as easy going and says he usually lets stuff roll off of his back. He thinks the most important thing is having fun at work.

“I like to have a good time with what I do, I think it is important to have fun with your job,” he said. “If you aren’t having fun, then you are not doing anyone service or keeping them safe.”

One thing that might grind Davies’ gears is people who act without thinking about their consequences.

“Working at the correctional institute, I met people who had gotten drunk and then later killed a person with their car because they weren’t thinking,” he said.

And Davies offers one piece of advice for everyone.

“I think that it is important that everyone has to take the good with the bad,” he said. “Once in a while you have to step back and look around and take a deep breath and make sure that what you are doing is not going to cause danger to you or anyone else.”