“When a Stranger Calls”

Grade: D-

As of late, Hollywood executives have found it necessary to try and remake old films from the ’70s in hopes to make a quick buck off of them.

The only problem is they seem to lack any and all ability to do the job well, and as a result, the public is left to sit through another bad horror film.

“When a Stranger Calls” is the latest film to follow this new Hollywood standard, and its no a big shock to find that the film isn’t very good.

This remake of the 1979 cult film tells the story of a babysitter who is tormented by relentless and twisted phone calls from an unknown source, which if you have seen any of the previews for this film, you already know the big plot twist there.

“When a Stranger Calls” tries to use the same tricks over and over again: a series of quick camera movements and loud noises that cause the scares to be nothing more than the equivalent of someone or something jumping in front of the camera yelling “Boo!”

With its same predictable scares, mediocre acting and all around failed attempts to try and update the story for the new millennium, it becomes very hard to recommend “When a Stranger Calls” for anyone but die hard horror movie fans whose pickings are slim this time of year.

– Joe Cunningham