Bias spreads Monologues’ misconception

As I was reading today’s opinion column, “Monologues are Vulgar and Crude,” I couldn’t help but shake my head. Once again, someone has jumped to the wrong conclusion about this play. The unfortunate thing is that this biased opinion will keep others from experiencing this enlightening production.

“The Vagina Monologues” are not, as D.J. Johnson insists, “vulgar and degrading to women around the world. What he mistakes for vulgarity is actually a straightforward, honest, and empowering declaration about women’s bodies. What Eve Ensler is attempting to do in this play is to take back the right to talk about, explore, and learn about our bodies.

For years, our culture has tried to teach young girls and women that their bodies are something dirty and should be kept hidden. We are told that to enjoy our own bodies is wrong and often “a sin.” Many women do not even know how their reproductive organs work. I took a class on Human Sexuality last year and was disheartened to know how many girls in that class didn’t even know what their ovaries were.

Not only does Eve Ensler fight the body stigma our culture has, she fights against the idea that rape should be kept quiet and hidden.

I cried when I first read the account of a young woman’s loss of innocence during a military gang rape. It’s a shame that D.J. only saw crudeness in a young woman’s sorrow.

I hope that this article has not discouraged many students to miss out on this event. However, I can’t really blame D.J. for his opinion. After all, he has never lived in a female body.

Rebecca Dawson

GRADUATE STUDENT