Once ‘Smashed’ author to talk about girlhood

Koren Zailckas, the author of the New York Times Best-selling book, “Smashed: Story of a Drunken Girlhood,” will speak at the University tonight about her life from age 14-23 as an alcohol addict.

Zailckas will guide students through the problems she encountered with alcohol: From getting her stomach pumped at age 16, to a blacked-out sexual encounter at age 19, to waking up in an unfamiliar place at age 21.

Zailckas’ presentation will tell her account of being someone who loved to drink – not to get drunk – but instead to transform into the girl she wanted to be.

According to her Web site, Zailckas’ story is one that is familiar among many college girls who aren’t alcoholics, but use alcohol as a way to overcome anxiety, shyness, and to open up.

The event is sponsored by the Interfraternity Council, and will be held tonight in the Union Ballroom at 9:30 p.m. According to IFC President Eric Heilmeier, Zailckas’ presentation should be a worthwhile experience because it will deal with many of the problems that face college students.

“Alcohol is a concern that many of us encounter,” Heilmeier said. “Some of us have friends who we may worry drink too much while others may just know people who drink socially. Koren gives us an unobstructed view into the life of one woman’s encounters with alcohol, peer pressure, college life and growing up.”

Heilmeier said the speech should be an eye-opening experience for all those who attend. Copies of her book can be purchased in the University Bookstore.