BG swimmers are honored by web site

At the beginning of the year, the BGSU swimming and diving team was ranked No. 13 on collegeswimming.com’s list of Mid-Major Programs.

Now, as the season begins to wrap up with the start of the Mid-American Conference Championships in Akron, BGSU enters the list at the No. 9 spot. The Falcons are considered one of the top 10 Power Ranked teams. The University of Akron is placed eighth on the list.

These rankings were made to maintain and encourage programs that do not profit from big football and basketball “television agreements,” according to the website. “Rankings are based on each team’s best dual meet lineup as judged and submitted by participating teams.”

BG coach Keri Buff was happy to see her team ranked in the top 10.

“We are excited to break into the top 10,” she said. “This is why we don’t compromise our training for our dual meet record.”

Buff and her team’s philosophy is to focus and train hard all season in preparation for the MAC Championships.

The teams participating this weekend include: BGSU, Akron, Toledo, Eastern Michigan, Buffalo, Ball State, Ohio University and Miami (OH). Miami is the defending champion and have won the last four MAC Championships. Last year, the Falcons placed fifth.

Being in the cluster of the top 10 Power Ranked teams this season, the Falcons have more confidence heading into the Championships.

“While other teams keep moving down, we will continue to rise because of our team’s tremendous work ethic and patience,” Buff said. “This gives us great momentum going into the MACs.”

The MAC Championships begin today at Ocasek Natatorium with preliminaries at 11 a.m. and continuing throughout the day. The finals are set to begin at 7 p.m.