BGSU tennis team has tough time in Indiana

The BGSU tennis team competed in three matches over the past weekend in Indiana. The Falcons went 1-2, with their lone win coming Saturday in Indianapolis against Butler University. BG also dropped hard-fought matches against Indiana State University and DePaul University.

The Falcons visited Indiana State (3-1) on Friday night where they were defeated by the Sycamores, 5-2.

The combination of freshmen Kelsey Jakupcin and Stefanie Menoff provided the Falcons with their only points of the evening. Jackupcin beat Marie Caujolle at the fifth singles flight, 6-4, 6-4. Menoff earned her first career victory at sixth singles flight over Imane Lahlou, 6-2, 6-0.

The day started off promising for BG with a victory at No. 3 doubles where senior Heidi Romer and junior Kelsey Jakupcin earned a victory 8-3. DePaul would eventually take the doubles point with victories at first and second doubles.

Jennifer Migan sealed the victory for the Blue Devils with a victory at No. 1 singles flight over Ashley Jakupcin, 6-1, 6-2.

On Saturday and Sunday BG competed in the Butler Tennis Bubble in Indianapolis, going 1-1.

The Falcons won their first match on Saturday in Indianapolis against the host team Butler Bulldogs, 4-3. The combination of Erica Wolfe and Stefanie Menoff saved the day for BG. Their win at the No. 3 doubles over Carrie Rachon and Ashley Harrison, 8-2, picked up the doubles play point, giving the Falcons their second victory of the season.

Heidi Romer and Kelsey Jakupcin breezed to straight set wins during single flight action, and combined at No. 2 doubles for a win.

In addition to Menoff’s win at doubles, she also earned her second straight singles flight victory by beating Butler’s Kim Jenson 6-1, 6-1.

The Falcons Andrea Meister and Jenna Nussbaum each lost difficult single flight matches, in three sets.

On Sunday, the Falcons lost a tough match to the DePaul Blue Devils 7-0. In the end the Blue Devils’ talent proved to be too much for the BG.

It was the Falcon’s first match against nationally ranked players. BG’s Ashley Jakupcin dropped a hard fought match at first singles to Beatrix Csordas, 7-5, 6-4. Coming into the match Csordas was ranked 70th in the nation.

At number two singles, the Blue Devils’ Gergana Ganeva, who is also ranked nationally at No. 85, defeated Jenna Nussbuam, 6-2, 6-1.

During singles play the Falcons played very well against their formidable opponent, even extending three of the first set matches to the limit.

BG will return home this weekend to host a couple of matches. On Saturday and Sunday they will be squaring off against Bradley University and Wright State.