Local community funds ‘tapped out’

Last night the University Student Government hosted its first annual President’s Roundtable. Leaders from student organizations across campus were invited to hear David Stanford, associate director of the cooperative education and internship program, speak of fundraising for college groups.

Stanford’s presentation, entitled “You Have Not Because You Ask Not,” highlighted a variety of techniques to help University organizations have access to more money.

“There is not a shortage of money,” Stanford said. “In most cases you don’t have the money because you haven’t asked for the money.”

The timing for this event was ideal since University student organizations just received a letter from the Student Budget Committee outlining the amount of money they will be granted, according to Kristen Kulbis, SBC chair.

“Tonight will help leaders of organizations, who perhaps weren’t given the full amount of money they asked for, to get a jump-start on raising that money themselves,” Kulbis said. “You can tell which organizations are concerned about their budget by who has shown up tonight.”

In order to have a successful fundraising campaign you must partner with another group on campus. A partnership increases the budget for a given program and brings better ideas to the table, according to Sanford.

“From now on you are no longer lone wolves,” he said. “The people you are asking for money must know your mission, not just how much fun you are going to have with their money.”

The local community has been “tapped out” of fundraising, according to Sanford, thus he believes an organization must spend a great deal of time and energy with the community, learning who is willing to give to what types of organizations.

“There are some rich administrators on this campus,” he said. “They love giving money to campus programs, but won’t if you approach them and say ‘give me money.'”

The evening concluded with additional fundraising tips from Michelle Banks, the major gift officer in the alumni development office at the University.

Alumni can be a great money-raising resource and the alumni development office is willing to help organizations reach these givers, according to Banks.

“Believe it or not, when organizations on campus raise money it also helps out the university and aids us in achieving our own fundraising campaign goal,” Banks said.

Gettin’ the money

General Fundraising Concepts/Ideas (as presented by David Stanford):

Think partnerships Mission-driven fundraising Reach businesses, administrators and alumni Do a letter/phone campaign Start early Face to face is better than phone Give supporters the details Think big – ask for what you need ‘No’ does not mean no