Romer returns from NY to help Falcons in sweep

The BGSU tennis team came up aces this past weekend, winning both of their matches, while conceding only a single individual match. The Falcons (4-4) improved their home record to 3-0 with victories over Wright State and Bradley at Shadow Valley Tennis and Fitness Club in Toledo.

BG’s Heidi Romer returned to the team Saturday morning after attending her grandfather’s funeral in New York. Despite her emotions and a bit of jet leg, Romer went a perfect 4-0 on the weekend.

“I was really tired, but I was able to block it out,” Romer said. “I flew out of N.Y. at 4 a.m. and didn’t get back to Bowling Green until 7:30 a.m.”

A few hours later, Romer helped Romer defeated Bradley’s Teri Chan 6-2, 6-4 at the No. 3 singles flight and the Falcons beat the Braves, 7-0.

“I thought Heidi Romer’s performance was amazing,” said BG coach Penny Dean. “We did not even know if she would be able to make it back in time for the match, and for her to play the way she did was great to see.”

On Sunday, the Falcons downed visiting WSU 6-1 in a match that was more competitive than the final score suggested.

The Raiders (3-5) entered the dual on a three-match winning streak, including a win over Akron on Saturday. But BG stopped any momentum that Wright State had coming in, by taking all three doubles matches.

“This match was a lot closer than the final score indicated,” Dean said.

At No. 1 singles, Ashley Jakupcin rallied from three games down in the second set to defeat Tiffani Foster 6-1, 6-4.

The Raiders only point of the day came at No. 2 singles, when Jessica Lee pushed past BG’s Jenna Nussbaum in three sets 6-0, 4-6, 1-0.

Romer capped off her weekend with a hard fought victory over Audra Beckett at No. 3 singles. Romer rebounded after losing the first set to win 3-6, 7-5, 1-0.

In addition to Romer’s perfect play, Andrea Meister, and sisters Ashley and Kelsey Jakupcin, also finished 4-0 on the weekend.

The Falcons look to move above .500 for the first time this season Saturday when they travel to Cincinnati to take on the Xavier Musketeers. On Sunday, BG will return home to host the Flames of Illinois-Chicago at 3 p.m. at Shadow Valley.

“This should be an interesting weekend, because both teams have similar players and good depth,” Dean said.