CD burning still going strong

Even as iPods, MP3 players and portable music devices flood the technology market, burning CDs is not a thing of the past.

More than 10 million iPods have been sold, according to a BBC News report. But locally blank CD’s are selling more than iPods, said Dan Foster, electronics department manager at Wal-Mart on Main Street.

“Blank CDs are selling pretty much the same as they have always been,” Foster said. “Overall, I am probably selling around 10 packs a day of blank CDs.”

One reason people may still be burning CDs, despite the bigger and better technology of the iPod, is simply because the iPod is expensive.

An iPod ranges in price anywhere from $100 to $500 while blank CDs range from around $10 to $30, according to Wal-Mart’s Web site.

But despite the hefty price range, iPods were selling like crazy during the Christmas season, Foster said.

“Over Christmas they were selling as fast as I could get them in,” he said. “Right now though, I probably only sell about two a week. But the video iPod is selling more.”

But even if technology keeps advancing, Foster is convinced that people will still burn CDs no matter what is invented.

“People are still going to burn CDs just like everyone still records television and radio programs,” he said. “It’s up to the individual.”

Kevin McManus, junior, said he never burns CDs since buying an iPod.

“I don’t burn them anymore,” he said. “I have an adaptor so I can listen to my iPod in the car and I can take it other places and still listen to it.”

Blank CDs can’t carry as many songs as an iPod, but there are still some disadvantages to the iPod, according to McManus.

“Well, it is expensive and somewhat fragile if you are not careful with it,” he said. “Also you have to recharge batteries quite often.”

Mary Carmichael, junior, has an iPod, but burns CDs also.

“I still burn CDs because it is a lot cheaper,” she said. “Also, I don’t have to take the time to go to the store and find it when I can easily burn it at my house.”

She does admit that she has been burning CDs less, since getting an iPod.

Thought the iPod is a technological innovation, the trend of burning CDs may never go away, Foster said.

“Ever since they released the video iPods, they are getting more and more popular,” he said. “But right now, it’s more of a fad than anything.”