Club track looking to grow in numbers

The BGSU club track team is in its fourth year of existence. The club was started in 2003 by current coach Tom Wright, after the University cut men’s track and field from the athletic program.

The club is designed to provide an opportunity for all BG students to compete in track and field. The club does not hold tryouts, so anyone who would like to participate is welcomed, provided they meet University eligibility standards.

The club team has grown in numbers in the recent years, but it is not at the level where Wright envisioned it to be when the club was initially started. The team currently has 22 members on its roster.

“I would like more athletes to be involved, but it takes commitment,” Wright said. “It is a club sport, but there are rules and regulations that must be followed.”

The club team is run like any other varsity sport. The team practices on a daily basis at the field house, and there is competition to qualify for every meet.

The club does offer students a relaxed environment and the opportunity to compete at a Division I level. The Falcons compete against a wide range of schools that include teams from the Mid-American Conference and Big Ten.

Wright feels students should take advantage of the program because, “these are the best years of your life to compete and be competitive.”

“Our goal is to try and expose students to new experiences and to success,” Wright said.

The club began practicing in October, and has participated in a handful of events this year. The club has at least seven more meets this year, with a possible trip to Florida over spring break to compete in the Florida A’M relays.

Steve Vairetta has been a member of the club team since its inception. Vairetta encourages anyone interested in joining the team to do so.

“I have met many new people, set goals and challenged myself to improve every year,” Vairetta said. “You can meet a team of talented athletes that share the same competitive edge, and you get to compete in an enjoyable environment.”

The club will be holding a fundraiser at Max and Erma’s in Perrysburg on Feb. 23. Twenty percent of all donations received through necessary endorsements on that day will benefit the track and field club.