Same-sex love to be addressed

Biblical perspectives challenging the traditional understandings against same-sex love will be presented tomorrow at “The Intersections of Homosexuality and the Bible,” the first LGBTA-Q symposium.

During the daylong symposium, speakers both for and against the same-sex love’s description in the Bible will debate. After all speakers have presented their views, there will be a two-hour open forum for audience members.

One of the speakers who will address arguments against same-sex marriage in the Bible is Mike Jones, a member of the Exodus Program, who has spoken throughout Michigan and Ohio.

“I plan on helping people come to a common vocabulary of terms and phrases, which will in turn help create understanding,” Jones said about his approach

to the debate. “I want to make sure that the audience clearly understands the popular terms used in today’s society, such as homosexuality and homosexual, and attraction versus orientation versus behavior.”

Jones is also pleased BGSU decided to host the symposium. “I grew up thirty minutes north of here, so it feels like I’m coming back home.”

Emily Resnik, one of the speakers on the “for” side of the argument and a senior here at the University, will be offering a Catholic perspective on the topic and defending the practice of same-sex love.

Resnik will be talking about Catholicism and their views on homosexuality, along with bringing up scholarly writings that counter what the Church says about the issue.

She hopes that the information she will present will help promote less bias towards homosexuality in the community.

“People need to come with an open mind and accept different opinions,” she said. “Hopefully, this will generate a step forward into creating comfortable

dialogue and an un-hostile environment for homosexuals.”

Nicky Damania, director of the symposium and a member of LGBTA-Q – which stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Ally-Queer/Questioning – said that the seminar is geared toward providing programs to promote awareness and an advocacy to all sexual orientations.

“We are in no way going to push someone one way or the other on this issue,” Damania said. “We need to come to an understanding, and having different points of view is OK. Every side has two viewpoints, and we don’t expect anyone to change their minds if they don’t want to.”

The symposium is made to allow for both sides of the argument to be heard, as well as the opinions of the general public due to student concern of bias and the fact that they weren’t able to express their own opinions during another BGSU event, titled, “What The Bible Really says about Homosexuality,” held back in October.

When asked about the October event, Damania said, “In October,

we only presented one side of the situation. A lot of questions were posed, and we didn’t have the time to answer them all.”

This is one of the reasons why “The Intersections of Homosexuality and the Bible” will have an open discussion.

“People will be able to write questions down and presenters will voice their views on the topics,” Damania said. “The discussion will be open monitored since the presentation must be monitored as well.”

The symposium will run from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in 1007 BA Building. Admission is $3 with a valid student ID, and $5 for non-students. There will be a one hour break for lunch.