Patients taking drugs may be at risk

By Andrew Bridges The Associated Press

WASHINGTON – Twenty-five people died suddenly and another 54 suffered serious cardiovascular problems after taking drugs to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder between 1999 and 2003, the government says.

Children accounted for 19 of the deaths and 26 of the cases of nonfatal cardiovascular problems, including heart attack, stroke, hypertension, palpitations and arrhythmia, according to a Food and Drug Administration report released yesterday.

The report’s release came a day before an FDA panel was to discuss new ways of examining the potential cardiovascular risks of the drugs, which include drugs such as Ritalin, Concerta, Methylin and Metadate.

The few studies that have looked at longer-term use of ADHD drugs provide little information on those risks, the FDA said. The cardiovascular risks include heart attack, stroke, hypertension, palpitations and arrhythmia.

Sales of drugs to treat ADHD increased sharply in recent years, with use growing faster among adults than children, according to a recent study.