Troops deserve our thanks this Thanksgiving

With the Holiday music already hitting the airwaves, people are gearing up for another festive season of turkeys, presents, traditions and family.

This season tends to bring out the kind hearts of many; whether it’s volunteers at soup kitchens or gracious shoppers donating toys to young children, people are starting to give.

While we get ourselves ready to stuff our faces with that infamous bird and take a few moments to reminisce on those we are thankful for, we should think of ways to thank some people very special to all Americans: our soldiers.

Veteran’s Day was a great opportunity to thank someone for his/her service to this country, but many students took this day as another excuse to catch up on sleep and watch pointless daytime television shows all afternoon.

This day, and many other occasions where we have a good reason to go out and thank those in the military, are not the only times we can extend our gratitude.

If a neighbor or friend has a loved one in the military, why not ask for a mailing address to send a letter or card?

It doesn’t have to be anything special.

If an ordinary day seems too far fetched to thank a soldier, use this holiday season as your inspiration.

With the war continuing in the Middle East, many Americans are being sent to countries such as Iraq and Afghanistan.

Having to be in foreign territory is hard enough, but having to be in a place that has constant battles where you are uncertain of the outcome is a completely different story.

These troops risk their lives each and every day while having to endure the pain of being away from their loved ones.

A nice card or inspirational letter once in a while gives these soldiers hope. How would I know?

This will be a Thanksgiving in which both of my brothers will continue fighting overseas; one in Iraq, one in Afghanistan.

Trust me, the letters and cards really mean a lot to them.

There are many different ways you can help a soldier this holiday season.

Different groups have and will be in the Union with tables designated to sending the troops a card or letter.

Find someone in the residence halls or around your neighborhood that knows someone who is serving in the military, and send them a care package.

If you know a veteran that could use some company, make the time to go and have a conversation.

Some people may have a hard time speaking face-to-face with a random stranger, but there are students on campus who have helped out our country that should be acknowledged.

If you think your class schedule is hard, try being a member of the ROTC and having to do military training on top of earning your degree.

I often see members of this program jogging in the morning or having a quick bite to eat for breakfast and it makes me smile.

Just knowing that people at my University are also protecting my rights as an American really keeps my spirits high.

We should also keep in mind the parents and spouses of the troops.

They have to endure each news report of the soldiers that have been injured or killed each day, while going on with their daily routines.

These people are tough, and we owe them the highest amount of respect. If you happen to know or run into a soldier’s spouse or parent, even a quick word of encouragement would be appreciated.

While this time of the year isn’t the only time available to be grateful for the freedoms our soldiers have given us, it is an opportune one.

With such a large military, any bit of gratitude expressed would really go a long way.

Send comments to Sarah Barnes at [email protected].