Journey for a Mid-American Conference three-peat begins Friday in Detroit

The long-awaited women’s basketball season has finally arrived at BGSU. The Falcons travel to Detroit tomorrow for a 7 p.m. date with the Titans.

The season couldn’t have come any sooner for a team which has been ready to go since they were ousted from the NCAA tournament by UCLA.

“We were very, very disappointed with that loss, and we didn’t fulfill some of the dreams we had for that team. So, minutes after that game, we started preparing for [this] season,” said coach Curt Miller at the Oct. 24 media day.

BG will return its five starters, along with four bench players, and have added three freshmen forwards.

After a poor shooting performance against Findlay, the Falcons hope they can play intensely the whole game Friday.

The second half of that game featured a paltry 8-of-35 shooting performance. They are confident they can put the half behind them.

“We’ve been doing – in terms of fundamentals – a lot of conditioning drills so we won’t get tired in the second half,” said forward Ali Mann. “It’s just a matter of figuring out what we did wrong.”

While BG has made a splash in the MAC and even on a national stage, they know they still have a lot to prove. They will likely be getting the best effort of every team they play.

“[It’s] the whole excitement of winning. Everyone wants to win. Basically, we’re like a big target,” said forward Carin Horne.

The Falcons will be a big target – for the second straight year. Last year, with a “bulls-eye on their backs” BG was able to win 28 of their 31 wins and managed 19 straight wins against conference teams.

They realize that repeating for a third time will not be as easy as it sounds. There are plenty of teams who want to win.

“Every year is a new year,” Horne said. “Everybody worked over the summer and worked during preseason just as hard as we had to.”

This marks the final season in which BG will have the services of the class of 2007. Liz Honegger, Ali Mann, Carin Horne, Megan Thorburn and Amber Flynn enter their final season in Falcon brown and orange.

The class has put in a lot of hard work and their teammates and coaching staff have enjoyed their presence.

“It’s been a magic carpet ride with them,” Miller said. “They took a chance on this program and our system when we weren’t having a lot of success but believed in the same vision as the coaching staff had, and it’s been an absolute joy to coach them.”

The game will be played at Calihan Hall in Detroit.