Graduate Record Exam up for overhaul

The Graduate Record Exam keeps some students up at night, studying or mindlessly staring at their books, hoping for informational osmosis.

The test also keeps some students out of their dream graduate school; so when the Educational Testing Service announces major changes in the exam, students hoping for admittance have reason for concern.

By fall 2007, graduate school applicants will take a longer, more expensive entrance exam. The GRE will be undergoing major changes with the goal of better predicting students’ success.

Changes to the exam were intended to take effect this October, but were pushed back for another year.

The nearest test site is at the University of Toledo, and the Director of Testing Services there said the changes will put the test on the Internet and limit the number of times the test is offered.

The format of the test in the math and verbal sections will change. The current computer adaptive format adjusts the difficulty of questions based on previous correct or incorrect answers. The new linear format maintains the same difficulty level throughout the exam.

“The test isn’t purposely more difficult, it just relies on a question type that is more like a word problem,” said Matt Fidler, GRE program manager for Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions.

In addition, admissions officials will be able to see applicants’ essays.

The creators of the test are working to eliminate memorization and parroted responses and encourage critical thinking.

“They hope this new test will be a better predictor of graduate school skills, like critical thinking and complex reasoning,” Fidler said.

Kelli Williamson, a junior who plans on taking the test and attending graduate school says she feels good about the changes. She said a test that challenges students to think critically will better measure a student’s total comprehension. In her opinion, real life situations call for analyses and response.

Not only will the test change format, but will now take longer. It currently takes two-and-a-half hours, but will be expanded to four hours. It will also be administered less often and cost more (it now costs $115). The new cost has yet to be determined.

Another change to the GRE will be a unique set of questions for each test, limiting the potential for cheating.

“Doing well on the GRE is one of the things applicants can do to put themselves ahead of the pack,” Fidler said.

The goal of all the changes is to give graduate school officials a more complete picture of a student’s ability by making the test more rigorous.

“The whole point of the exam is to measure students’ ability to succeed in graduate school,” Fidler said.

The Educational Testing Service plans on changing the test in the next year, but the date is not completely secure.

View Comments (1)
$1325
$1500