Senior night loss leaves both Falcons and fans with sour taste

As the BG football team’s 10 seniors walked off the field for their final time at Doyt Perry Stadium, those in attendance who hadn’t felt anything but cold couldn’t help but feel the disappointment. In their final home game of the year, the Falcons fell to Miami (OH) 9-7, dropping BG’s overall record to 4-7 on the year.

“It was huge,” said BG coach Gregg Brandon. “The worst loss I’ve experienced in a long, long time as a head coach and assistant without a doubt. We had guys play their guts out.”

For the seniors, it was an especially tough loss to swallow.

“Very emotional, I remember just five years ago walking into this place and now just seeing it tonight,” said senior offensive lineman Derrick Markray. “It’ll be my last time ever playing in the stadium. So many memories, so many good times, so many bad times in here. It’s just hard to believe.”

In the end, the game was decided by a missed field goal from BG’s Sean Ellis. With just 31 seconds remaining on the clock, Ellis missed the go-ahead attempt badly to the left, turning the ball, and the game, over to the RedHawks (2-9, 2-5 MAC).

“He’s a Division-I kicker, he’s going to have his ups and downs,” Brandon said. “He’ll have some great opportunities in his career. He’s got to be able to handle the bad times and the good times and treat them the same.”

BG braved the elements in the first half, posting a 7-0 lead at the break courtesy of a 31-yard scamper from BG quarterback Anthony Turner. Turner led all players in both rushing and passing, with 91 yards on the ground and 131 through the air.

Outside of Turner, BG had trouble moving the ball. Running backs Chris Bullock, Dan Macon and Pete Winovich combined for just 38 yards on 15 carries in the muddy conditions, which became especially difficult in the second half.

“We struggled in the second half to make first downs and that was disappointing because in the first half we ran the ball pretty decent,” Brandon said.

On the defensive side of the ball, BG was able to the RedHawks to just over 200 total yards. In his final game playing at home in front of BG faithful, Terrel White once again put forth a commendable performance, leading the defense with 10 tackles, including one for a loss.

Like the other seniors, White couldn’t help but wish he had been able to leave on a better note.

“It’s real hard losing the last home game,” White said. “You’ll never forget your last home game, so when you look back anytime you’ll always have a sour taste in your mouth.”