Brown Bag breaks boundary

The Catholic church’s official stance on homosexuality has sometimes been summarized by followers as “love the sinner, hate the sin” – cutting off further exploration and discussion.

The group who planned the Brown Bag luncheon yesterday in Hanna Hall was not satisfied closing conversations with this catch-phrase, and created a forum for open conversation and debate.

Emily Resnik, a University senior double-major in psychology and women’s studies, presented her research on Catholicism and Homosexuality at the meeting.

“The first time I was confronted with homosexuality, I was so confused. I was raised to believe it was a mortal sin, but I met a friend who was gay and one of the kindest people I’d ever known,” she said.

Resnik was intrigued by the subject, and by the rationale for the stance held by the church against homosexuality.

Her opinion has been cultivated by more than a year of research and development. She remains a practicing Catholic, and despite opposition voiced by other church members, believes homosexuality is not inconsistent with her faith.

Resnik argued that the biblical verses most often cited by Christians who oppose homosexuality need to be looked at in context of the culture and time, and understood as a part of the overall message of the writer. She believes, when viewed in this sense, homosexuality is morally acceptable.

The overall message of the New Testament and the Christian faith is love, Resnik said.

She emphasized this point by using an encyclical published by the Pope Benedict XVI in 2005 which she said emphasized charity rather than opposition, and loving others rather than simply preaching at them.

Rev. Michael G. Dandurand, pastor of St. Thomas More University Parish on Thurstin Avenue and associate pastor at St. Joseph’s parish in Maumee, disagreed with some of Resnik’s conclusions.

He pointed out his respect for her research and her opinions, but held firm to his belief – not all physical desires are natural or acceptable.

Dandurand said he affirms and validates homosexuals who feel their desires are not an active choice, but believes they are called to a chaste life.

Those called to chastity have been created for a beautiful, full life, and have a unique purpose, he said.

But Resnick argues the biblical scripture illustrating heterosexual sinfulness, and pre-marital sex in general, is not taken as seriously by the church, and a double standard exists.

Catholicism does not condone these heterosexual behaviors, Dandurand said.

Sexual acts outside of a consensual, monogamous sex in the context of marriage are looked upon as sin, regardless of sexual orientation, he said.

Jessica Haupricht, a freshman who is active in Creed on Campus, a Catholic student organization at the University, agrees.

“One is not better than the other,” she said.

Both Haupricht and Father Dandurand agree that sex is intended for procreation, and should be viewed as sacred.

Focusing on homosexuality and condemning the lifestyle are mistakes, Resnik argues, based on studying documents written by Pope Benedict as well as traditional Catholic texts and scripture.

The Pope’s documented statement defining the church not as responsible for forcing itself into politics, but rather for motivating people spiritually to be actively charitable and loving, Resnik said.

Though Haupricht and Dandurand echo the importance of love and acceptance of all people into the church regardless of sexual orientation, they feel it’s important to take a clear position on what is natural and spiritually pure.

“I want people to understand that Catholicism is not hateful,” Haupricht said.

We believe all people are made in the image of God and deserve acceptance and love. Although we believe it is wrong for homosexuals to engage physically, they are still able to experience and express love in so many ways.”

Resnik explained her own divergence.

Barring homosexuals from expressing their love is suppression and judgment, and people who are part of same-sex couples have the capacity to be as faithful, charitable and loving as any heterosexual couple, she said.

Resnik had similar experiences witnessing intolerance of homosexuals in evangelical Protestant churches, and feels no church should make homosexuality the most significant issue they address.

The divisive nature of condemnation only creates hostility and moves away from what Resnik points out as the bottom line in Jesus’ teaching – love.

This bottom line is something all three believers agree upon.