Golfers have best score of year, finish 12th

The BGSU men’s golf team continues its trend of getting better.

After a week off from tournament play the Falcons had an extra week to practice – and their score showed just how productive they made that week.

Yesterday, the team finished its two-day tournament at the Xavier Invitational in Cincinnati. The competition was once again, extremely tough. This year’s invitational consisted of 18 teams, including seven that made it to the national tournament last year. It also had seven of the top 90 individuals in the country, according to Golf Week magazine.

BG stepped up and put forth its best performance yet. The team shot a combined score of 862 on a par-864 course. It was the first time this year the team finished under par.

BG finished in 12th place out of 18 team. The field consisted of six teams from the Mid-American Conference. Among that group, BG finished fourth.

“We played well, we finished below par, so I think we are where we are supposed to be right now,” said BG coach Garry Winger.

Jace Walker finished the tournament with an individual score of 2-under par.

Matt Schneider also helped the team with an individual score of 217, 1-over par.

“It’s good to know we can [finish under par as a team],” Schneider said. “I would have liked to have done better, maybe finish in the top five, but we did pretty well.”

Schneider, a freshman from Minnesota, has made an immediate impact on the team. He has been consistently contributing much needed low scores and helping lead the team.

“I like coming and performing well,” he said. “Hopefully I can continue to contribute and help win the next tournament.”

Fellow freshman John Powers also helped the team with one excellent round. Powers shot a 69 in the first round – 3-under par. Powers then shot an 80, dropping him to 67th place.

Despite having their best finish of the year, the Falcons still finished in the middle of the pack. Because of the high level of competition, the team was unable to show their improvement with a great placement, but Winger was not disappointed.

“It was a good score,” Winger said. “All you take care of is your own games, you can’t control anyone else’s, but I think we played well.”

Next week the Falcons will play in Ball State’s Earl Yestingmeier Invitational in Muncie, Ind. and once again try to build off the previous week.