Musicians to receive Woodies

Everyone wants a Woodie. And why shouldn’t they? Woodies are nothing to be ashamed of. Just last year, Billie Joe Armstrong, Mike Dirnt and Tre Cool got a Woodie. Brothers Mikey and Gerard Way, Bob Bryar, Frank Lero and Ray Toro were seen with a Woodie last year as well.

Now before this gets too obscene, you might as well get your head out of the gutter. A Woodie is actually a prestigious award put in the hands of successful and rising independent bands solely by college students.

The band members of Green Day and My Chemical Romance mentioned previously won the Alumni Woodie and Woodie of the Year respectively in 2005.

“The idea is to give artists an award made out of wood,” said mtvU’s head of programming Ross Martin. “It was inspired by Sub Pop Records who wanted to find a way to connect fans with the artists, even if they don’t sell millions of albums.”

“Bright Eyes may not go platinum or silver, but they can go wood,” Martin said.

According to Martin, the Woodies are a chance for artists to give thanks to college students, who support their music.

Martin is also the executive producer of the third annual Woodie Awards. The ceremony is set to take place in New York City on Nov. 2 and will be aired at 8 p.m. on mtvU.

Many of you might be familiar with mtvU – the television station broadcasted nationwide to over 700 universities. Founders dining hall is the only place on campus where students can watch it.

“I watch the videos when I come down here,” said Tyler Deal.

Deal leaves his suite in Founders in the mornings to enjoy his breakfast, which is always accompanied by the music videos on mtvU.

After seeing a few of the videos nominated for a Woodie, Deal came to a conclusion.

“I think Death Cab for Cutie’s video is good enough to win an award,” Deal said.

Death Cab for Cutie is a potential nominee for the Streaming Woodie, an award given to the band whose video is watched the most online.

Other Woodies up for grabs include Woodie of the Year, Road Woodie, Breaking Woodie, Left Field Woodie, Best Video Woodie, Good Woodie and International Woodie.

But a very popular category this year is the Alumni Woodie, an award that goes to artists who can’t forget their roots.

“I’d vote for the Red Hot Chili Peppers since they are up for the Alumni Woodie,” Deal said. “Every album they release has at least four singles, and I respect them a lot.”

Deal is not the only one on campus who considers voting for the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

“I might vote for the Chili Peppers to get the Alumni Woodie and Panic! at the Disco for Woodie of the Year,” said Lisa Montgomery.

Montgomery is one of the many students who think mtvU should be aired in other dining halls besides Founders.

“I live in Harshman, so the only time I see it is after class,” Montgomery said. “They play music at the Sundial, but I wouldn’t mind if they had mtvU playing.”

Many students still plan on voting for their favorite artists, despite the lack of mtvU on campus. They have until Oct. 20 to get their votes in.

It’s hard to say who might walk out with a Woodie this year. Ben Gibbard, Chris Walla, Nicholas Harmer and Jason McGerr have a chance. So does Bono. And don’t be surprised if Anthony Kiedis, John Frusciante, Flea and Chad Smith get a Woodie this year.

“There are nearly 50 nominees,” Martin said. “What we’re seeing this year is an eclectic mix of artists with distinct musical approaches. It’s going to be an incredible night of pure music.”