College grads get good news about job market

When asked about what they want to do when they grow up, a typical kindergartner cracks a huge smile and shouts, “Astronaut!” or “Ballerina!” They are not worried about financial security or job outlook.

College students, however, are very concerned and this year their concern is met with great news. Graduates looking for a position in 2006 had the benefit of the best job market in four years, and 2007 promises to have even better prospects according to jobweb.com, and a recent survey conducted by collegegrad.com which found similarly promising statistics.

Somewhere along the line the big dreams of children are squashed and they are told their tender, passionate hopes are silly and they should stop listening to their heart and start paying close attention to job outlook .

Kelly Dearth, sophomore, said she really would love to be a Visual Communications Technology major, but she is afraid.

“I know that a VCT career would be so competitive that I doubt I could be successful,” she said. As a result, she plans on studying something safer, despite her desire to pursue a VCT career.

JoAnn Kroll has been the director of the Career Center at Bowling Green State University for 22 years, and according to her, the job market fluctuates; but if students have made the best of their college experience, it doesn’t make a significant difference.

“What is most important is not the job market, but what students are doing to take advantage of the vast learning opportunities,” Kroll said.

She explained that prospective employees are most impressed by students who are passionate about their interests and have worked hard to develop their strengths in- and outside the classroom.

“If I could do what I really loved, I would major in Spanish. It is a beautiful language, and it is what I enjoy studying most. But choosing that as a major is unstable,” said Jordan Werwa, a junior.

Kroll explains that contrary to popular belief, passion, and active experiences are everything.

“Choose a major that you love, not one that is safe,” she said.

Jennifer Goetz, sophomore volunteered in her hometown for seven years and worked with children. As a result of actively participating in volunteer work and job shadowing, she was able to choose a major that she was confident she loved.

Kroll advised that students figure out what they care about, what they enjoy.

Senior, Ashley Hunker, has lived by Kroll’s advise.

“I am a history major because it is what I love. I think history and culture is so powerful and important to understand the world today. I’m really not completely sure what I’ll end up doing, but I know I love what I’m learning,” she said.

She is also a double major in dance, which she decided to pursue because she has always loved dancing. Hunker is not worried about what is most realistic or whether she fits into a box, she is concerned about being active in the areas she is passionate about, and using her gifts to benefit the world and make the most of her life.

According to Kroll, too many students persue the most lucrative career, or one that job market statistics show to be most feasible, rather than one they care about.

She says, “If you follow your passion you will work harder, catch the interest of employers, and the money will be enough.”

She also stressed the importance of active learning.

“If you come to your senior year and all you have to offer are grades on a transcript, employers are not impressed, and there is really no excuse at our University.”