Women’s golf finishes third out of five

You can’t win them all. That’s a sports cliché we have all heard before, but in this case it’s true.

After a first place finish in Youngstown the BG women’s golf team finished in third place out of five teams at the Eastern Kentucky University Colonel Classic in Richmond, Ky. over fall break.

The Falcons shot a 326 in the first round, a 323 and a 327 in the second and third round of the tournament. Scores like those are not what Coach Stephanie Young wants to see out of her team.

“This tournament was somewhat disappointing,” Young said. “The scores in the 320s were not good, and we have a lot of work to be done before our next match.”

This coming after a great performance by the whole team at the Youngstown State Invitational where they received a first place finish, but that was nearly a month ago. The EKU Colonel Classic was their first tournament since mid-September.

But Young does not give that as an excuse for their sub-par performance over the weekend.

“If anything the long break gave us a chance to work on things,” Young said. “But we made some big mistakes and we just didn’t execute.”

Perhaps the problem was the team wasn’t getting the job done on the green.

“We had a lot of mistakes around the green,” Young said. “The putting was poor.”

Jessica McCann led the way for the Falcons with a final score of 240 which earned her a fourth place finish. She had scores of 82-80-78, showing improvement in each round. This is McCann’s third time this year finishing sixth or better. She has placed first, fourth and sixth so far.

“It was hard coming back after a long break,” McCann said. “I improved each round, but I easily could have been better.”

Another solid performance came out of Carley Hrusovsky who scored a 242 for the tournament with scores of 79-81-82 producing a tie for fifth place.

But she wasn’t satisfied with just her good play, she would like to see the whole team do well.

“It was a little disappointing,” Hrusovsky said. “We didn’t play as well as we hoped we would have.”

However, Hrusovsky had a theory as to why they weren’t doing very well around the green.

“It was a big green,” Hrusovsky said. “We weren’t hitting the ball really well. We were prepared and positive, but we just didn’t play well.”

Other notable scores were Amanda Bader (247, T-12th), Lindsey Jonkhoff (249, 14th) and Kari Liggett (265, 22nd).

BG will look to turn it around next week when they travel to Cincinnati for the UC Women’s Fall Classic on Oct. 15-16. This will be the last tournament of the fall season.