4-0 CMU hosts BG

It should be an interesting week for BGSU football as they travel to Mt. Pleasant tonight to face Central Michigan on just five days rest.

The Falcons have been a team that underachieves and overachieves randomly all year long. While hanging tough with some of the country’s best, they have struggled against some of the country’s worst.

The Falcons have played exceptionally well away from Doyt L. Perry Stadium, winning five of their last six road games. The one loss during that stretch came against Ohio State, which isn’t exactly a walk in the park. The streak hopes to continue as the Falcons play much of their remaining schedule away from Bowling Green.

“We’ve got four out of the next five on the road, so we’d better be good on the road,” said BG coach Gregg Brandon.

BG will hope to knock off the Chippewas, who are leading the Mid-American Conference’s West Division with a 4-0 conference record. They’ve been led by their quarterback Dan LeFevour who leads the MAC in passing with 1,401 yards. He has also thrown 11 TDs coming into tonight’s game and has completed 60 percent of his passes.

On defense the Chippewas have defensive end Daniel Bazuin. He has five sacks this season and two forced fumbles. CMU also has the conference’s top tackler this season in Red Keith, who has 71 tackles.

BG has some injury issues after last week’s game with Eastern Michigan. Sean O’Drobinak will be out and Brad Williams has been listed as questionable.

“At this point, we’re a banged up team. Because of the nature of our schedule, playing two top 20 teams from the Big Ten that are very physical, it’s tough to play a mid-week game,” Brandon said. “The timing’s not good, but I think Central would be saying the same thing.”

The team defense for BG has been the strong point throughout the year. Terrell White has been a pleasant surprise as he is second in the MAC in tackles and Saturday he made his first two career interceptions.

“It gave a little momentum swing. The first one they got it down to score. The last one was big because it ended the game,” White said. “They were driving downfield, and if they would have scored they would have won.”

BG is hoping to stay alive in the race for the MAC East Division. Kent State has the week off and BG can equal their win total this week to gain a half game.