Phasing out Taco Bell

With the close of Taco Bell last week, students are left finding new restaurants to eat at after a night at the bars.

Students like senior Megan Grandstaff are now eating at places such as Big Boy, Qdoba or Skyline Chili as they wait for the grand re-opening of Taco Bell.

But Skyline Chili could never replace Taco Bell, Grandstaff said.

“Its not open on the nights we need it to be open,” she said. “I go to ’80s night a lot. And chili just doesn’t sit well after a night of drinking.”

While some students miss the late night service, others say they will miss the food.

“I will be sad when they close because I won’t be able to get my French Wrap Quesadilla,” said freshman Alisha Griffin.

A spokeswoman for Taco Bell, Monica Hawks, said the restaurant will reopen some time in mid-December. The new design, called “Bold Choice” will be the newest version that Taco Bell has to offer.

This new version will have a Southwestern look with an orange and green stone work exterior. The new architecture style and interior design are supposed to give the restaurant a dramatic and modern look, Hawks said.

And most importantly to Grandstaff and Griffin, it will be bigger at 3,124 square feet.

“The line gets so long you’re literally in the back of the store infringing on people’s space,” Grandstaff said.

Griffin would prefer to see a larger dining area because the “old one was just too cramped.” The new Taco Bell will have 117 seats compared to the old version, which seated 65.

When the new Taco Bell opens it will have a staff of 50 employees, Hawks said.

All older style Taco Bell restaurants have slowly been phased out and remodeled all over the country, according to restaurant’s Web site.

Taco Bell officials say the new restaurant version is critical to improving the customers’ experience and satisfaction by offering them superior facilities.