New management at Gianno’s offers a taste of Italy

A mix of seafood, classic wine and authentic Italian food are just some of the enticements Maumee restaurant Gianno’s has to offer.

Since Gianno’s came under the management of Mike Sader on Aug. 3, he and two other co-owners have been doing their best to improve Gianno’s in any way they can.

According to Sader, Gianno’s is one of the oldest buildings in the Toledo-Maumee area. It measures 15,000 square feet and has 3 banquet halls.

Built in 1828, the building also used to be a haven for some of the earliest presidents.

“I’ve been told that Lincoln and Grant slept there and they supposedly know a passage to the Underground Railroad,” Sader said.

Unlike many other restaurants that promise the real taste of Italy, Sader guarantees his food is the real deal.

“We have authentic Italian, all the way down to the Mediterranean where the seafood and olives are, all the way up to the pizza and pasta,” Sader said.

Gianno’s is the type of restaurant you would go to after a date. It’s elegant and Sader guarantees the cost won’t be astronomical.

“We have good prices. Yes, it’s more than McDonald’s, but it’s less than other expensive places,” Sader said. “On Sundays, we do a special where you can get a meal of salad and pasta for a family of 4 for $16.95. Now, that’s a good deal.”

The food is prepared by Doug Ridenour, Gianno’s prep cook, who said he enjoys working at the restaurant.

“It’s a clean, professional restaurant. Our prices are affordable and we are popular around here.” Ridenour said.

Back in Bowling Green, Sader is also popular. He started cooking when he was younger on the East coast, and eventually returned to Ohio to become an executive cook.

Shortly after, Sader and one of his buddies decided they would venture off on their own. As a result, three and a half years ago, they built Cohen and Cooke from the ground up.

“We built everything… except for the electricity,” Sader commented.

At Cohen and Cooke, everything is made from scratch, much like Gianno’s.

Sader says one of the most rewarding things about being a restaurant owner is the customer response to the food.

“Once I had a customer – a couple of 63 years, celebrating their anniversary – and he says to his wife, ‘Honey, this is better than sex,'” Sader said.