Falcons can’t pull off victory against Spartans

The Bowling Green women’s soccer team was close but not close enough to winning on Friday. The Falcons record fell to 3-4-0 after a heartbreaking loss to Big Ten powerhouse Michigan State 2-1.

The Falcons had a defensive breakdown late in the game with three minutes left, when Michigan State forward Lauren Hill broke the 1-1 tie with a late goal in the second half.

“Considering half the team was playing high school soccer last year, I think we played good and put up a good effort against Michigan State. It would have been nice to beat a Big Ten opponent,” head coach Andy Richards said.

The Falcons did enough things right in the game to win but luck never went their way.

“We’re getting better and better every game. I think we really could have pulled this game out as a victory,” Richards said. “We hit the post, missed some chances and we were a little unfortunate. We needed a little more luck to beat MSU.”

Three players stood out on Friday’s game – freshman Stacey Lucas, goalie Tiffany Hansen and Danielle Cygan.

Lucas scored two consecutive goals during the past two home games. She scored the lone goal for BG on Friday in the first half.

Hansen let two tough shots past her for the two Spartan goals, but saved 16 shots on goal. Hansen was challenged all day long but held her ground.

Cygan led the Falcons with three shots on goal and put pressure on the MSU defense all game long.

“Stacey has been playing really well, she’s had two goals the past two home games. Tiffany continues to make nice saves in the net. Danielle had some good chances to score but she slipped before she shot and missed wide. She also had a nice corner kick in the first half,” Richards said.

The Falcons have been gaining experience week to week this season. With such a young team it’s a learning experience, but the Falcons are still competitive. The main focus for the Falcons will soon turn to MAC play.

“Like I said before I’m really happy with the performance Friday. It’s a good time to be focused because MAC play starts next week,” Richards said. “Those are the games that are most important, the MAC games are the ones that will get us into tournament play.”

Next on the Falcons’ radar is Northern Illinois, Friday at 4 p.m. With the start of MAC play it’s time for the Falcons to start defending their MAC championship from last season.

“We’re still a young team but we’re getting better and better every game. Hopefully things start to turn in our favor,” Richards said.